Overwintering geraniums
Broadway Offline
Can I overwinter geraniums without a greenhouse?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • JJB

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I do (classic red pelargoniums) - they get cut almost to the ground and then go and live in my study which being unheated and on the north side of the house makes a far better pumpkin and winter plant store than study! They come back into the warm bit of the house in about late feb given a good water and then I wait to see what happens. I think mine are three years old now - but some are cuttings from the original plant.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mamzie

Broadway Offline
(06-09-2020, 12:03 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I do (classic red pelargoniums) - they get cut almost to the ground and then go and live in my study which being unheated and on the north side of the house makes a far better pumpkin and winter plant store than study! They come back into the warm bit of the house in about late feb given a good water and then I wait to see what happens. I think mine are three years old now - but some are cuttings from the original plant.
Ok thanks PPSmile
  • PyreneesPlot

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I do - there are 3 hanging baskets that have been outside for 2-3 years - mainly because I forget about them There are begonias in there too.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mamzie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've tried and failed. I've transplanted them into GH border and failed, I've dug them up into seed flats and stored in a frost free garage and failed. Begonias sometimes overwinter themselves in the garden soil, but I've not had any geraniums come up again outside. Having said that Danny, it's worth a try, I may give it another go.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Broadway

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
They are tender perennials so you may be lucky in a frost free porch. They will do well from cuttings taken now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga

Broadway Offline
Hi Folks

Would they need any light over winter or could I just pop them in the converted loft and forget about them until spring?
  • JJB

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I think they'll just become horribly pale, weak and leggy without some light. But they might go totally dormant - how about trying with one and giving the rest some light?
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB

Broadway Offline
(07-12-2020, 05:50 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I think they'll just become horribly pale, weak and leggy without some light. But they might go totally dormant - how about trying with one and giving the rest some light?
Thanks PP

The problem is I haven't got a lot of light to play with! I can probably fudge something will have to come up with a cunning plan tomorrowSmileSmile
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
https://gardening.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/a...-in-the-UK
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, PyreneesPlot