New Seed catalogues - be wary!
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sutt0ns "New for 2020" seeds are being advertised online. This is a company with a penchant for giving grand new names to quite ordinary seeds sold far more cheaply elsewhere. 

As an example, they're selling "Garlic Kale" - 200 seeds for £2.99. In small print, it says these are Texsel Greens. 
Joy Larkcom mentions these often in her books so I've known about them for many years .

DTBrown's Catalogue has just arrived - they sell "Amara" Ethiopian Kale "quick and easy to grow Texsel greens"  500 seeds £2.49.

Even cheaper - Seedaholic 370 seeds  £1.10. https://www.seedaholic.com/texsel-greens.html

Sutton's at their best want you to forage for wild plants in a pot. 
https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vege...167976.htm
Only £3.99 to grow a pot of weeds. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Mamzie, Mikey, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks veggie. It boggles the mind how they can get away with renaming & upping the price without trading standards getting a bit funny about it.  One of the reasons I use small seed companies.
Have you grown the texsel greens? They look interesting, but I’m guessing they just taste like all other kale  Rolleyes  Big Grin .

I have no comment about the weeds ................. well not a polite one  Wink .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
RE Texsel greens - I have grown them but don't remember much about them in the same way as that I don't remember growing other quick growing greens like those 40day broccolis.
Joy L says "As for mild flavored ‘bulk’ – pak choi and leafy Chinese greens, Texsel greens , summer and winter purslane, baby spinach leaves are among my personal favorites."
https://blog.gardeningknowhow.com/garden...ad-garden/
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Another one that I’m aware of. Is Christmas basil. Don’t bother with it if you’re already growing cinnamon basil. It’s the same thing. Sorry I don’t remember which company was selling it as “Christmas”.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Mikey, Veggie

Mikey Offline
I won’t deny I’m shocked, it’s the kind of practises I’d expect of a supermarket not a kindly seed supplier. Before you know it they will be palming of radishes as dwarf turnips.

I do however like just how annoyed it made veggie. Big Grin Tongue
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Those radishes would be called something like Snacishes or Miniturns - as served by the finest restaurants in the cuisine minceur style.

As for being annoyed , you haven't heard me ranting on about Kalettes or Incaberries - or practically anything promoted by James Wrong. Tongue
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, Mikey, Small chilli

Mikey Offline
Yes that is totally Wong, it shouldn’t be allowed.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(06-09-2020, 06:39 PM)Veggie Wrote: Those radishes would be called something like Snacishes or Miniturns - as served by the finest restaurants in the cuisine minceur style.

As for being annoyed , you haven't heard me ranting on about Kalettes or Incaberries - or practically anything promoted by James Wrong. Tongue

It's very annoying when things get arbitrarily renamed for marketing/fashion reasons. I'd just got used to Cape gooseberries being called goldenberries in health food shops (which is fine - we call dried grapes "raisins" or "currants"), and then everyone starts calling them Incaberries and I can't find them when I shop online!

(I actually really like them on cereal, with sliced banana to balance the tartness - and maybe a little maple syrup if I'm feeling self-indulgent. Which I usually am!)
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eyren's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(06-09-2020, 06:39 PM)Veggie Wrote: As for being annoyed , you haven't heard me ranting on about Kalettes or Incaberries - or practically anything promoted by James Wrong. Tongue

I have  Big Grin . It’s awesome! You grab yourself a cuppa, sit back and watch the show  Cool .
I find the kalettes rant particularly memorable .  Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Mikey, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
There was a more recent one too - think that was Suttons too when they were selling some weirdly named "kale" for a small fortune, and it turned out to be a bog standard one. I even grew it side by side to prove it!!.
I'll see if I can find it
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mikey, Small chilli