Saving my cuc
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm trying it with my wilty one too.
When I dug it out of the compost, it had no roots whatsoever and the only bit below grown was brown and not healthy. So, remembering Bren's tip. I cut off the brown bit and put the top in water. Its perked up and I'm hopeful it will pull through.

Thanks Bren. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Small chilli, Vinny

Bren Offline
Here’s my cuc today. 

[-] The following 6 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I have a wilty cucumber. I was fairly certain we had discussed this problem before.

T'internet says it could be bacterium wilt You can test cucumbers for bacterium wilt by cutting a badly wilted stem just above soil level and squeezing it. If a sticky, oozy substance comes out, it’s bacterial wilt. This slimy substance clogs the plant’s circulatory system, so it can’t take in the water it needs. I'm going to chop the top off tomorrow, put it in water to root as Bren has done and investigate the roots. Hopefully it'll survive to thrive.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Veggie

Bren Offline
JJB I did this on the 16 May, oddly I ended up with 2 cucs the that was laying across the compost picked up 3 days after the top was cut off.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(09-06-2023, 10:49 PM)JJB Wrote: I have a wilty cucumber.  I was fairly certain we had discussed this problem before.

T'internet says it could be bacterium wilt  You can test cucumbers for bacterium wilt by cutting a badly wilted stem just above soil level and squeezing it. If a sticky, oozy substance comes out, it’s bacterial wilt. This slimy substance clogs the plant’s circulatory system, so it can’t take in the water it needs. I'm going to chop the top off tomorrow, put it in water to root as Bren has done and investigate the roots. Hopefully it'll survive to thrive.
I've found cucumbers to be very prone to rotting at the bottom of the stem. Now I make sure when planting them out to not put them any deeper than they were, perhaps even a little bit proud of the soil level. Not had any rot off since I started doing this.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Bren, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Good thinking. I have inspected at soil level and there's no rot, I remember being rather careful at planting stage about not putting pressure on the stem, but it could have been a bit deep.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club