Hardneck - softneck?
Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I'm trying a couple of softneck varieties this year: Germidour and Cristo. I basically read a load of "best garlic to grow" articles online and picked a couple that were easy to get hold of. I prefer to plant mine in autumn for an early crop - plus some varieties don't split into cloves reliably unless they get plenty of cold.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eyren's post:
  • Mamzie

Admin Offline
The Boss
I have found that the best results come form matching garlic to your soil type...the best resusts for me are from Albigensian Wight, this is a soft neck variety thatcan be planted either autumn or spring.

[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie, Vinny

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
I am gonna have a look around.

Psst, what are scapes?
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  

Mikey Offline
Scapes are the flowering stems of the bulb, they can be eaten. Wink
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Jimny14, Mamzie

Jimny14 Offline
I like to chop scapes up in stir fry or if you fancy you can make a kind of pesto out of them
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimny14's post:
  • Mamzie

Mikey Offline
I like to chop them up really small and dry them long and low in the oven until they are crunchy, then blend them to create a fine powder. This is lovely over buttered toast as a quick garlic bread, or as a seasoning on top of a soup. It’s really versatile and lasts really well.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Eyren, Jimny14, Mamzie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
You lot are a bad influence - all this talk of scapes has induced me to order some hardneck garlic (Carcassone). Always room in the veg bed for a bit more garlic - or I could plant it around the roses!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Jimny14, Mamzie, Mikey

Jimny14 Offline
Around the roses sounds as like a plan eyren, also have a look at elephant garlic, I think you have to leave it to flower so you should get some lovely allium type flowers, then you can dig it up and re plant some cloves for more of them in future and use some for cooking.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Eyren, Mamzie, Mikey