Hardneck - softneck?
Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
Hardneck - softneck... argh.. Not sure what i should be looking for, I like getting things in sales, but really enjoyed having garlic fresh from garden this year.

Thinking I will invest i some bulb, so we get a garlic corner going. All advice welcome please x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 2 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey

Mikey Offline
Shop garlic is soft neck as there are more cloves per bulb and they have a milder flavour and they store better. All the attributes worthy to sell.

Hard necks are more varied in flavour have bigger and fewer bulbs which are easier to peel.

I prefer to grow hard neck as I can buy soft neck in any supermarket whenever I want. Albeit home grown is always superior in flavour I think.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Vinny

Jimny14 Offline
Agree with Mikey above, I only choose to grow hard neck. I've not had a storage issue but then again we use quite a bit of garlic and my growing space isn't huge so we get through it, although the bulbs I saved last year for planting this year lasted with no problems.
Also scapes, I like using the scapes for cooking.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Mikey

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don't know much about growing garlic but some varieties are for overwintering, others should be planted in spring. Not sure which is which!!

Useful Calendar for Garlic growers!! https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/growing/calendar
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Vinny

Mikey Offline
There’s one called something wight which is an over wintering garlic I’ll have a look now.

Here it is, they are Isle of Wight varieties

https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/product/...-x-4-bulbs

Carcassonne Wight, early variety with a hard neck, it’s cheaper elsewhere mind.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
So I presume hardneck makes scapes and softneck doesn't? Huh
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14, Mamzie

Vinny Offline
(31-08-2020, 09:42 PM)Veggie Wrote: I don't know much about growing garlic but some varieties are for overwintering, others should be planted in spring. Not sure which is which!!

Useful Calendar for Garlic growers!! https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/growing/calendar

So........its as I thought, garlic can be planted in each and every month of the year, depending on variety. Cool
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(01-09-2020, 08:40 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(31-08-2020, 09:42 PM)Veggie Wrote: I don't know much about growing garlic but some varieties are for overwintering, others should be planted in spring. Not sure which is which!!

So........its as I thought, garlic can be planted in each and every month of the year, depending on variety. Cool
 September  to April ?? Huh
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Jimny14 Offline
(01-09-2020, 08:36 AM)Vinny Wrote: So I presume hardneck makes scapes and softneck doesn't? Huh

That's how I understand it but I'm willing to be told otherwise.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Vinny Offline
(01-09-2020, 12:31 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 08:40 AM)Vinny Wrote:

September  to April ?? Huh
I stand corrected Blush I saw every month was accounted for on the link, but not ALL months were for planting. I was 2/3 right! Tongue
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie