Winter in the GH & PT
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(01-09-2020, 10:33 PM)Mikey Wrote: I think Nesh is a difficult word to track down it is first written into English language when Irish monks started to catalogue English words in the 9th century, with a meaning of someone susceptible to cold weather. It was pronounced hnesce which is of Latin origin so I believe it possibly has much earlier roots, and might well have been used either during the Roman period or soon after when there was a lot of migration around Europe. In the 16th century Nesch is a Dutch word meaning damp or foolish. So it’s possibly a mutation of Old English and used as a derogatory term for someone being unsuitably dressed for the weather.

If I had to guess I’d say it is probably post roman but, Latin of origin. It might well have been a derogatory term for invaders from Frankia who came from damp lowlands. To mean both damp and foolish they are quite an odd combination so likely to be said in jest of one’s enemy. This is only a guess mind.

See, I told you Mikey would give us a story about nesh. Smile  Thanks  Mikey,  its fascinating.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mamzie, Mikey

Mikey Offline
(02-09-2020, 08:29 PM)Can the Man Wrote:
(02-09-2020, 05:21 AM)Mikey Wrote: Are you up the Sugar loaf Mamsie?, back when I was in college many moons ago, and working for the council during the summer months, I was sent on an errant to pick up drain plasters for surface dressing and told to meet them on the Sugar loaf

The errand sounds like tartan paint but, it wasn’t there is such a thing!! However I only knew of one Sugar loaf, I later discovered there were two mountains and I was on the wrong one. Big Grin
Mikey, there is another Sugar Loaf over here in Ireland, it’s part of the Wicklow mountain range
Ahh now then CTM, you’ve not got the one there now have yer.

Yer have the Great Sugarloaf and the little Sugarloaf in County Wicklow. 

Why have one when you’ve room for two. Smile

I like the Rio version that’s the only one that actually looks like a sugarloaf the rest probably look like the Sugar loaf after it’s been licked a few thousand times on its way over here by boat. Tongue
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(02-09-2020, 08:44 PM)JJB Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 10:33 PM)Mikey Wrote: I think Nesh is a difficult word to track down it is first written into English language when Irish monks started to catalogue English words in the 9th century, with a meaning of someone susceptible to cold weather. It was pronounced hnesce which is of Latin origin so I believe it possibly has much earlier roots, and might well have been used either during the Roman period or soon after when there was a lot of migration around Europe. In the 16th century Nesch is a Dutch word meaning damp or foolish. So it’s possibly a mutation of Old English and used as a derogatory term for someone being unsuitably dressed for the weather.

If I had to guess I’d say it is probably post roman but, Latin of origin. It might well have been a derogatory term for invaders from Frankia who came from damp lowlands. To mean both damp and foolish they are quite an odd combination so likely to be said in jest of one’s enemy. This is only a guess mind.

See, I told you Mikey would give us a story about nesh. Smile  Thanks  Mikey,  its fascinating.
Hahaha!! Don't believe him JJB!  He's the greatest spinner of yarns since Robert the Bruce's spider. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Mikey

JJB Offline
Moonraker
And he sounds so authoritative! Are you telling me V that it's all in his imagination? I expect Mikey will have something to say about that. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
He knows where I live so I'd better not say anymore .........................

until next time Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie

Mikey Offline
Everything I said up until my guess is current perceived wisdom. Beyond that is conjecture. Smile
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • JJB, Veggie