Winter in the GH & PT
Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
Pea shoots, I am a pea shoots addict. Also for increasing our strawberry collection and bring some on for early harvest
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 4 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Mikey, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
(31-08-2020, 10:17 AM)Veggie Wrote: Come on, JJB!! A new GH and you're not inspired to use it over winter. Its not an ornament!!
I grow more in my GHs than I do outdoors as its so easy - and dry and warmer in there  -for the plants and me. Smile

No, no, no,  VC no need to wag a finger at me.  Smile  I fully intend to use the new gh over winter. I've got modules of things to plant (beetroot, chard, lettuce, spring onions, spinach) when the toms come out,  pots of carrot seedlings, strawberry runners to bring on, plus the fuschias.  My dilemma is what will succeed  in the limited space available and be over by the time I need to plant out tomatoes and peppers next spring, and there's always the temptation of those pesky spuds.  There are definitely plans! Smile so don't despair.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Mikey, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
(30-08-2020, 07:33 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm trying something different this year, only thought of it today!!
Some of the tomatoes are finished or unlikely to produce any new fruit this year, so I've been pulling them up. My plan is to leave their pots and canes in situ but plant some Bijou mangetout with a few DFBs in each empty pot. I'll top up the pots with fresh compost and some chicken manure pellets before sowing the seeds.
The self-seeded lettuce are germinating around the pots as usual.
The gutter gardens will need fresh seeds/seedlings and I've learnt now, not to sow too thickly.Smile
I'll have a few pots of carrots and sow some more direct into the beds.

Veggie, have you planted DFBs and Bijou this late in the season before?  I might give it a try too, although I think your climate is as little kinder than mine..
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Mikey Offline
There’s not a lot of difference between Wiltshire and South Wales JJB? Not unless you are on a really tall Wiltshire hill!! Wink
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm on a quite tall hill anyway!!
JJB I've overwintered Bijou mangetout in the GH. Don't normally grow DFBs as I've aalways been a bit snooty and thought that there was no point growing dwarf things when you could grow a full size one in the same space. This year, I learnt better and have been growing DFBs in the GH for an early crop - so I'm going to try for a late one as well.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Mikey

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I’m growing DFB’s in the poly tunnel, they are in about 4 weeks now and are in full flower.

Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Mamzie, Mikey, Veggie

Mikey Offline
Oh that made me laugh Big Grin

My father says I’m nesh now because I live near the sea. I no longer no what cold feels like. There is on average a 3-5 degree difference between us and about 160 metres in altitude. Hardly polar opposites.

V I’m marginally above 60 metres, and you’re 40 metres higher than me. I make that approx 1 degree colder which is why your elderberries are behind mine. Smile
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie

Bren Offline
I've tried in the past to grow DFB's overwinter in my GH but the frost always gets them. Sad
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Online
Moonraker
(31-08-2020, 08:54 PM)Mikey Wrote: There’s not a lot of difference between Wiltshire and South Wales JJB? Not unless you are on a really tall Wiltshire hill!! Wink

No you're right, but I believe V is near the coast???  And my GH's are on a slope down towards a frost pocket.  We're raised up and a  bit exposed  but not what I'd call tall.  Veggie always seems to report on weather a bit milder than I seem to get.  All to do with topography I expect.  I know that the village a few miles away can get totally different rainfall than us due to a ridge between us.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
Bless my soul, nesh is a word I don't hear often. Mother used to call me nesh, but my north country friend had no idea what I meant when I called her nesh. I expect Mikey will be able to tell us of its origins.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Veggie