Knife sharpener recommendations please
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I have muddled along using cheap knife sharpeners most of my life.  Now I'm finding they just don't do the job.  I don't want to spend a fortune,  I see some listed at £150+.

What's your favourite sharpening system.  I'm not sure i could get the hang of using a steel effectively.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
My favourite is the Chantry Classic in British Racing Green - a product of the 1970s - which is when I bought it at the same time as my Le Creuset saucepans.
All still in use although the knife sharpener could probably use some new blades. https://www.lakeland.co.uk/1888/Chantry-Knife-Sharpener

Its definitely my favourite as its a choice between that and a steel. Men seem to prefer a steel.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Mikey Offline
I prefer a whetstone myself and a leather belt. I have a steel In one of the kitchen drawers but it’s difficult to keep a consistent angle. I find it much easier on a stone and the edge is significantly sharper than when I used a steel.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
I use a Lansky Turnbox which is good enough but trickier with longer knives. If I was buying something new I'd go for a whetstone or, if you want something more guided, something like a Lansky Sharpening System.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have a butchers steel which I picked up years ago at a car boot sale. It is fairly worn so gives a nice fine sharp edge to my knives. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Thank you all .  I can't see myself with a leather strop Confused  and a whetstone brings back memories of dad in the workshop with the most grubbiest grimiest oily thing you could imagine.  I'll end up getting a guided something when I convince myself I have to pay good money for something that works.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Mikey Offline
My mother has a handheld knife sharpener which is essentially two steels that cross over to create a V joint, held in a plastic palm holder. It's small, fits in her cutlery drawer and she's never used anything else.

I have never been particularly keen on it, as you sharpen towards you and your arm holds the steel, so the likelihood of you running the blade down your knuckle/arm seems quite high to me. I think they should all be made to work away from you not towards you, as we rarely follow instruction manuals!!
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I use a steel and it works on my quality knives though I have one knife my daughter gave me it’s a Jamie Oliver knife that came with one of his cook books but I just can’t get it to sharpen up. I was thinking about putting it on the grind stone in the garage.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(30-08-2020, 10:27 AM)Mikey Wrote: My mother has a handheld knife sharpener which is essentially two steels that cross over to create a V joint, held in a plastic palm holder. It's small, fits in her cutlery drawer and she's never used anything else.

I have never been particularly keen on it, as you sharpen towards you and your arm holds the steel, so the likelihood of you running the blade down your knuckle/arm seems quite high to me. I think they should all be made to work away from you not towards you, as we rarely follow instruction manuals!!

That's the sort I've used for years and now the 'steel' bits are worn.  It wasn't until I used a brand new knife that I  realised my sharpener just wasn't cutting it! ( I hear someone in the background saying 'it's the knife that should be cutting not the sharpener'Smile)  never had an accident with it but maybe my knives weren't sharp enough!
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey