Plot 53
Admin Offline
The Boss
For all you clever flower people Smile

I am planning on turning one of my uncultivated plots into a flower garden for both cutting and enjoying, not just by me, but anyone who cares to use the plot. This is a small plot about 10x20mtrs

I have a number of questions please.

I am planning on setting out paths and creating differing shaped edged beds. The paths will be grass and the beds covered with a weed suppresant with bark on top. 

Q. If i cut heat welded holes in the suppresant will bulbs grow through the  bark?
Q. What bulbs would natrually follow daffs?
Q. Can you buy snowdrops and is it worh underplanting the 3 small apple trees with them?
Q. What flowers have a high scent?
Q. I need something that will grow and cover the fences at either side?
Q. Can all bulbs be left in the ground?
Q. I like lavender, is there a compact variety?

Any advice or suggestions welcome
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Can’t help with most of your questions. I can’t wait to see it’s progress. It’s going to look stunning.
I’d have honeysuckles growing along the fence as they are scented. Or you could have clematis or climbing rose.
Scented flowers some lilies, roses, sweet pea, hyacinth, Jasmin. No doubt there are many more I don’t know about.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Admin, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
1. If you plant them at the recommended depth I don't see why not. Crocus bulbs I got last year were planted in the lawn 4 inches deep and re-covered with the soil/grass plug and they managed to push their way through OK.

3. Yes. It is often recommended to buy 'in the green' but I bought some 'dry' snowdrop bulbs off eBay last year. They were already sprouting when they were arrived and most came up fine. I think they'd do very well under an apple tree.

7. Hidcote gets about 45cm high. There are a few dwarf lavenders like Little Lady that grow to about 30cm high.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Admin, Mikey, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
How about growing lots of perennial herbs - rosemary, thyme, sage, lavender, bay? Scented, bee attractants and useful.
Honeysuckle, jasmine, clematis, perennial and annual sweet peas and old fashioned roses on the fence.
Bulbs to be left in the ground - snowdrops, crocus, scillas, daffs and narcissus, tulips, lilies, hyacinths - probably lots more.
Lily of the valley
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Admin

Mikey Offline
Are you just creating a garden or are you looking for a companion plant nursery? Planting flowers and herbs which are beneficial to your main allotments seems practical, a wild border full of plants that attract insects like hoverflies, lacewings and ladybirds might help you with common allotment beasties about 3ft wide with a wind break hedge that could be edibles, like cobnut, elder, intertwined with something like a tayberry which Is thornless but adds density.

I’m planning on underplanting my one Apple next year with leeks as they are supposed to deter aphids which has been an issue for this Apple but not my others.

You could plant some veg with the intention of letting them go to seed, that way you could be seed sufficient. Some can be quite magnificent when they go to seed. I envy you having sufficient space that you could grow things which don’t have to be for the table. I’d love a transitional space.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Admin

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-08-2020, 08:06 AM)Mikey Wrote: I’m planning on underplanting my one Apple next year with leeks as they are supposed to deter aphids which has been an issue for this Apple but not my others.
How about planting chives or Welsh onions instead as they're perennial and there's no root disturbance when you pick them.
  • Mikey

Admin Offline
The Boss
The plot used to have a pond and I was contemplating filling it in. I like the idea of herbs and might use the whole to create a sunken rockery, is there such a thing?

I shall also be growing a few teasels as we have a healthy population of gold finches, which I love watching feed
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Mikey, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Mikey Offline
(21-08-2020, 09:15 AM)Veggie Wrote:
(21-08-2020, 08:06 AM)Mikey Wrote: I’m planning on underplanting my one Apple next year with leeks as they are supposed to deter aphids which has been an issue for this Apple but not my others.
How about planting chives or Welsh onions instead as they're perennial and there's no root disturbance when you pick them.
Do you mean Shibwns?, spring onions. I could broadcast, a mix once the rough weather has past, there are some bluebells in there somewhere that I need to lift, as they tend to swamp the bed.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-08-2020, 12:04 PM)Admin Wrote: The plot used to have a pond and I was contemplating filling it in.  I like the idea of herbs and might use the whole to create a sunken rockery, is there such a thing?

I shall also be growing a few teasels as we have a healthy population of gold finches, which I love watching feed
The goldfinches flock to the Verbena bonariensis here. That would be good to grow in your flower garden - perennial, self seeding - tall and good for the back of a border or amongst other lower growing plants. One of my favourites!
  • Admin

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-08-2020, 06:14 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(21-08-2020, 09:15 AM)Veggie Wrote:
Do you mean Shibwns?, spring onions. I could broadcast, a mix once the rough weather has past, there are some bluebells in there somewhere that I need to lift, as they tend to swamp the bed.
No, I don't mean Shibwns, I mean Welsh Onions and chives (garlic or ordinary). They're perennial unlike spring onions. You really must concentrate, Mikey. Tongue
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mikey