Marsh Tit
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
This is why I never manage to save any sunflower seeds - the marsh tits take them the moment they are ready. Great tits and goldfinches also both try, but don't seem tp be agile enough to get underneath the flowers.

Marsh tits are really vocal, arriving with a kind of zwweeeee twitter twitter - the cat doesn't even flick an ear anymore!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 6 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Jay, Mamzie, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
They're beautiful - sunflowers and the birds Smile
Thanks for showing me some sunshine on a very wet day!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, PyreneesPlot

Bren Offline
Lovely photos thanks. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot

Mikey Offline
I have a couple of baby tits that visit my upside-down hanging baskets. They are such little sweeties, I'll see if I can find a picture.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 5 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Mamzie, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Love the way long-tailed tits rush around in great noisy twittery flocks Smile

[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Mikey, Veggie

Mikey Offline
I had to upturn the baskets to make it harder for the magpies as they decimate the coconuts in a day, and the little ones don't get a look in. This way the little fluffballs can just about stretch and reach it.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
At one time I was considering getting a press for sunflower oil but looked at a government web site which said less than 2 acres and they were more or less all for the birds. It's blue tits, mainly that go after the seeds here and also mice I think. I covered a few heads with fleece one year and they just pecked through it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Veggie

Mikey Offline
The only negative to inviting birds into the garden, pigeons and magpies annoy my Spanial something rotten. He ignores the smaller birds because, on the whole, they are quite quiet, magpies, however, try to pinch his food and taunt him constantly.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Glad we don't see much of pigeons (they fly in huge flocks in the winter but only land in the forest) or magpies. We have far more jays now because our neighbour used to shoot them from his balcony, but he died (not jay shooting related) a couple of years ago. I know people don't like them because they eat young song birds, but that's just nature, but I do love their chatter - they have so many tones and voices.

[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
Jays are such a stunning bird through. We only had one visit for 2 days and i was like " what is that???"
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mamzie's post:
  • PyreneesPlot