Starting perennials or biennials in the autumn
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(19-08-2020, 05:32 PM)doublyjonah Wrote: I'm not worried about seeming like the mom or the dad Smile As long as I don't seem like the baby...

Haven't grown any of those. I don't need more seeds, so I won't look them up. Probably. For now. Maybe later.
................bet you will!! I did. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • doublyjonah, Scarlet

doublyjonah Offline
Bad influence, as ever!
[-] The following 3 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Mikey, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I will try to save some for our seed swap...I'm hoping lots of us join Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Over the last week or so I've started sowing hardy annuals - just popped up to the GH and I've had a mouse/vole party! So annoying Sad
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, toomanytommytoes

doublyjonah Offline
(15-09-2020, 09:49 AM)Scarlet Wrote: Over the last week or so I've started sowing hardy annuals - just popped up to the GH and I've had a mouse/vole party! So annoying Sad
That's frustrating! Any type of covering that could keep them out? We have squirrels that did in all my hanging baskets and pots but largely ignore the GH for some reason.

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have some clear covers but it's too hot in the day at the moment and not enough to cover them all. It's very frustrating.im just going to move them about a bit in the hope they find something else tastier.

toomanytommytoes Offline
Reminds me of earlier this year when I was so happy to see some Malus hupehensis seeds from the Random Seed Swap had germinated over winter. Pricked them out into a bigger pot, left them outside on the decking for one night and the next day all the cotyledons had been nipped off. Managed to salvage one, was delighted to see it survive and grow strongly, only for it to turn out to be a rogue sunflower.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
Well, I've started my flower seeds today. Fingers crossed I don't wake up to a bunch of compost on the GH floor tomorrow.
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Well, I caught a rat this morning Sad ....so my seedlings may be safe
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

mcdood Offline
I seem to have limited success with Late summer/Autumn sowing perennials, sometimes just poor/no germination other times seedlings arrive but then die off over winter. I don't really want to sow indoors in Spring as I have so much other stuff going on then. Anyone have good methods that work for this? Do you sow indoors, under glass, outside in containers, outside in ground. When do you sow? Do you prick out and keep protected over winter indoors/ghouse or plant out or just leave in pot outside. . Examples of perennials I may try later this year are Knautia, Centaurea, Verbascum, Lynchnis, Hollyhock, Lupin, Eryngium, Aubretia. Let me know your tips please.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man