Starting perennials or biennials in the autumn
doublyjonah Offline
Hi all,

Last year I started several varieties in the autumn and transplanted them out this year when the weather warmed up. In retrospect, many were not recommended for growing on and planting out due to root disturbance or other issues. However, the hollyhocks, foxgloves, and poppies were actually all fine. I think I also had some annual cornflowers and calendula.

I'm wondering what varieties you may try to sow early to get earlier or first-year flowering where it might otherwise not occur.

This year I have larkspur, delphinium, canterbury bells, lupins...I'll have to investigate to see what else is about. Not sure if any are suitable for autumn sowing/overwintering in the GH. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Have a look at Higgledy Garden's website - https://higgledygarden.com/2014/07/20/th...in-autumn/
Its a must for anyone who likes a quirky take on growing flowers from seed.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • doublyjonah

doublyjonah Offline
Thanks! This is a site that I like and somehow forget about on a yearly basis. Reminded me that I started sweet peas and scabiosa early as well Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Well, I sow hardy annuals in September. My list is similar to last year....
Orlaya, sweet peas, clary sage, ammi, scabious, lychnis, cornflowers, larkspur.
I did foxgloves in July for next year. Last year I sowed snap dragons in feb. They have been fabulous so I'm going for a September sowing this year as well as a feb. Same for the other actually- I'm going to do 2 or 3 sowings to keep them looking fresh.

VC put up a post a few months back about sowing sunflowers and cornflowers - it seemed a little late for me. I will check out what month it was! I had already had substantial plants by then but I had the seed so gave it a go. The sunflowers open a couple of days ago, the cosmos haven't flowered yet but they are fresh and green and about to burst. The earlier sown ones are looking tired. So glad I tried it out.
I also read sowing more sweet peas at end of June gives you fresh flowers/plants late summer so well worth sowing less but a few times over the months.    

Some plants in the greenhouse early in the year from September sowings
I also do loads of penstemon cuttings - they root lovely. Pot on early and they are substantial plants by the end of spring.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • doublyjonah, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I always forget to sow flowers. My mind seems to focus on edible stuff only - so I'd appreciate some prompts please Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • doublyjonah, Mikey

doublyjonah Offline
Thanks, Scarlet. I forgot I did ammi as well to overwinter! I was busy last autumn (when the baby was a bit bigger...gee, what a coincidence...).

I remember that post. I sowed some cosmos after reading it and picked my first flower today. I think staggered sowing will be my big focus next year (starting now, of course). Makes sense to keep the flowers going with multiple sowings.
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just seen this video from Martin Fish about sowing perennials now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYH8rG872-w
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • doublyjonah, Mikey, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(17-08-2020, 01:16 PM)doublyjonah Wrote: Thanks, Scarlet. I forgot I did ammi as well to overwinter! I was busy last autumn (when the baby was a bit bigger...gee, what a coincidence...).

I remember that post. I sowed some cosmos after reading it and picked my first flower today. I think staggered sowing will be my big focus next year (starting now, of course). Makes sense to keep the flowers going with multiple sowings.
Forgive me but I thought you were the man! Only women get baby brain Big Grin

We will have to remind each other when to repeat sow. I really think that is the key. 

VC - you put the post up! Didn't you sow some? I'm really chuffed with my fresh plants Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Do you grow Lychnis?? Rose campion. I have white and pink. I grow new ones every September as they are a short lived perennial. They sometimes flower their first summer, but more often in the second year. I love it.
Also knautia is a perennial that if sown now will flower next year. I really love it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
I'm not worried about seeming like the mom or the dad Smile As long as I don't seem like the baby...

Haven't grown any of those. I don't need more seeds, so I won't look them up. Probably. For now. Maybe later.
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie