Growing Herbs from Cuttings
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Ok, I just checked -
My buddliea mint cuttings in compost are well rooted. No sign of roots on anything else yet.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
More accidental cuttings for today - lavender. I was only cutting the dead bits off and...........whoops. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(18-04-2022, 10:47 AM)Veggie Wrote:
(18-04-2022, 07:51 AM)Small chilli Wrote: How do you take your Rosemary cuttings Veggie? I never have much luck with mine. While I’m picking your brain about herb cuttings. If you know the secret to getting bay cuttings to take, I’m all ears.
Most cuttings go in a jar of water - as I'm too mean to put them in compost. Soft ones like mint root very quickly, hard ones like rosemary take longer in water so compost may be preferable. I've just remembered that Babushka/Russian doll way of taking cuttings. (Pot inside a pot inside a pot). https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.p...t=babushka
I have 2 enormous bay trees, both grown from cuttings, can't remember how I did it. Probably in compost. I really should try again. Incidentally, the Bay is covered in fluffy yellow flowers at the moment - probably never happens on a clipped bay tree that has been shaped!
My bay is also covered in flowers. I’ll probably try the water technique. As the compost & the babushka haven’t worked for me with bay or rosemary. I’ve not tried them in the tunnel either. Will do that as well.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I just checked my herbs, some small roots on the water ones, obviously I'm not tipping out the compost ones but they have roots and the buddliea mint has already grown a couple of cms. I think that one is going to be vigorous.

Though just over a fortnight for them all to get roots. So quick.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, Garrett, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Cuttings of the day - Black Peppermint. (think that's what it is Wink) It was escaping from its bed into the path, so I pulled those bits up, most have roots, and stuck them in water on the windowsill.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Black Peppermint! I'm off to look.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

"Which Basil rooted quickest?

The Basil piccolino cuttings were taken on 7.7.22 the Basil batik was put into water on 1.7.22. The winner is cuttings in a substrate. 
We use coir and vermiculite for most of our cuttings.
Another plus for cuttings in a substrate is that the plant grows away much quicker than the water cutting when potted up. "

This isn't written by me but by Jekka McVicar, Queen of Herbs. I'm impressed that the Basil in coir has grown to that size in a week. This maybe the way forward since I have plenty of coir now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli