Anyone got a shilling?
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Our toasting fork was made of wire and extended to make the handle longer, if you were sitting too close to the fire.
I may still have that fork somewhere. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Jay

Spec Offline
(13-02-2021, 09:22 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(13-02-2021, 12:50 PM)Veggie Wrote: Do you remember Lino/linoleum on the floor with a rug in the middle as fitted carpets didn't exist them! The bigger the rug, the wealthier you were. Smile
I think Lino used to be called Oilcloth too.
 I really liked the lino / rug look!

Scarlet you are older than I thought Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Jay, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-02-2021, 10:00 PM)Spec Wrote:
(13-02-2021, 09:22 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(13-02-2021, 12:50 PM)Veggie Wrote: Do you remember Lino/linoleum on the floor with a rug in the middle as fitted carpets didn't exist them! The bigger the rug, the wealthier you were. Smile
I think Lino used to be called Oilcloth too.

No I'm not...just I lived with my grandmother for several years. Everything had stopped in time at that house.
I wish I knew where her toasting fork had gone.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Spec, Veggie

Greenfingers Offline
Why tear newspaper into squares?? I can see you will find it hard to believe. We then used to put it on a string behind the door of the outside lavatory and use as loo paper. We also used to roll sheets of newspaper into paper sticks to light the fire with. By the age of about 5 I was an expert fire lighter.
[-] The following 3 users Like Greenfingers's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

My toasting fork collectionSmile Normal size and extended!!

The spindly one is my childhood fork, 
The brass one belonged to Aunty Vi
The other one was made by a local blacksmith as part of a "companion set" with brush, pan and tongs. 

Now all I need is toast. Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Greenfingers, JJB, Scarlet

Greenfingers Offline
Even more amazing....and this even shocked my auntie who was a newly qualified school teacher working in an even poorer urban area of Yorkshire. In the autumn some of the small children had their upper bodies smeared in goose fat and then brown paper was put on top and this was left in place until Spring!!! I remember being horrified at the thought of not having a bath all Winter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Greenfingers's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(13-02-2021, 10:34 PM)Greenfingers Wrote: Why tear newspaper into squares?? I can see you will find it hard to believe. We then used to put it on a string behind the door of the outside lavatory and use as loo paper. We also used to roll sheets of newspaper into paper sticks to light the fire with. By the age of about 5 I was an expert fire lighter.
Don't worry Greenfingers, Spec knows full well what squares of newspaper were for - he's so mean he still uses them. Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Greenfingers, Spec

Spec Offline
(13-02-2021, 11:10 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(13-02-2021, 10:34 PM)Greenfingers Wrote: Why tear newspaper into squares?? I can see you will find it hard to believe. We then used to put it on a string behind the door of the outside lavatory and use as loo paper. We also used to roll sheets of newspaper into paper sticks to light the fire with. By the age of about 5 I was an expert fire lighter.
Don't worry Greenfingers, Spec knows full well what squares of newspaper were for - he's so mean he still uses them. Wink

Spoil sport, Veggie but then Gf knows that I am a youngster, well in comparison to some of you lotBig Grin Big Grin

Spec Offline
(13-02-2021, 10:31 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(13-02-2021, 10:00 PM)Spec Wrote:

[/quote]
No I'm not...just I lived with my grandmother for several years. Everything had stopped in time at that house.
I wish I knew where her toasting fork had gone.
[/quote]
So you grand mother was of the same era as Veggie, I remember my mother talking about such thingsRolleyes
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • JJB