Anyone got a shilling?
Bren Offline
(14-08-2020, 10:42 AM)Veggie Wrote: Most definitely! Couldn't pass a phone box without pressing the buttons in the hope that some coins might fall out. You could do a lot with tuppence then.Smile

I used to do that as well Smile   the phone boxes  even had directories on a little shelf oddly they never got ripped or stolen.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Spec

JJB Offline
Moonraker
How times have changed. Our local pay phone is now a defibrillator.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Proserpina, Spec, Veggie

Mikey Offline
You don’t want to pick that up and put it to your ear JJB. Smile
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 6 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I had a coin meter for the electricity in my bedsit after I first graduated - that was the mid-80s! I think by then they took 50p pieces.

My grandma presumably had a meter in her terraced house, but mostly what I remember is her treadle sewing machine. And sitting on my grandad's lap, watching the horse racing Big Grin

Also odd little details, like the thick protective cloth on the parlour table that was sort of leathery on one side and fleecy on the other - I think it went under the cotton table cloth to protect against hot items. And the front room that was hardly ever used except as an entrance hall, but I used to wander around it sometimes, gazing at the knick-knacks in the glass-fronted cabinets. I must have been five or so at the time...
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
We had a best room...only allowed in Christmas morning, otherwise out of bounds to us. Neighbours always allowed in though.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Mikey Offline
(13-02-2021, 09:27 AM)Eyren Wrote: I had a coin meter for the electricity in my bedsit after I first graduated - that was the mid-80s! I think by then they took 50p pieces.

My grandma presumably had a meter in her terraced house, but mostly what I remember is her treadle sewing machine. And sitting on my grandad's lap, watching the horse racing Big Grin

Also odd little details, like the thick protective cloth on the parlour table that was sort of leathery on one side and fleecy on the other - I think it went under the cotton table cloth to protect against hot items. And the front room that was hardly ever used except as an entrance hall, but I used to wander around it sometimes, gazing at the knick-knacks in the glass-fronted cabinets. I must have been five or so at the time...
An oilcloth Eyren, you can still get them, they are very practical.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(13-02-2021, 10:45 AM)Mikey Wrote: An oilcloth Eyren, you can still get them, they are very practical.

Thanks for the tip! Though I think our battered Ikea dining table is past the point of benefitting from an oilcloth Big Grin
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey

Mikey Offline
A floral oilcloth and some paint on the legs it’ll look like new. Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Do you remember Lino/linoleum on the floor with a rug in the middle as fitted carpets didn't exist them! The bigger the rug, the wealthier you were. Smile
I think Lino used to be called Oilcloth too.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, Mikey, Scarlet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(13-02-2021, 09:27 AM)Eyren Wrote: Also odd little details, like the thick protective cloth on the parlour table that was sort of leathery on one side and fleecy on the other - I think it went under the cotton table cloth to protect against hot items. 

We've still got a protection pad on our table, its lasted at least 40 yrs

Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Veggie