Anyone got a shilling?
Curly Offline
More seriously, we didn't have electricity, it was gas lights and cooking and battery powered wireless, but when the gas man came to emply the meter it fascinated me how fast he could count the pennies and  ha'pennies and never make a mistake

[-] The following 2 users Like Curly's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
For once, I agree with you, Curly.Wink
I remember the speed too! We had electricity and gas meters - I have a feeling that only one took pennies and the other one was shillings so you needed to bowls for the coins.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I lived with my grandmother for several years and we had a coin meter on the TV!! In desperate times we had a couple of plastic 50pence pieces Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Was that Rediffusion?
I remember that - and a man who came round every week to collect the TV rent. Nobody owned a TV - you paid a weekly rent and, after a few years, the TV was replaced by another TV, still rented.
Anyone who bought a TV was regarded as very wealthy!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Scarlet

SarrissUK Offline
All of this is way before my time haha I do remember a neighbour that had a bakelite phone in that style though... and we had those kind of dials on our phones back in Sweden when I grew up too. But the pay as you go meters... I had never seen them until I moved here to the UK Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
That was it VC! The redifussion man Big Grin He has a cup of tea in every house on his round I think Big Grin
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-08-2020, 10:42 AM)Veggie Wrote: Most definitely! Couldn't pass a phone box without pressing the buttons in the hope that some coins might fall out. You could do a lot with tuppence then.Smile
I never did that with telephones but I did with the seven bridge tolls Big Grin
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-08-2020, 08:53 PM)Scarlet Wrote: That was it VC! The redifussion man Big Grin He has a cup of tea in every house on his round I think Big Grin
......probably needed a few outside toilet visits too. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Mikey Offline
I’m a bit younger so never did the coin operated thing. I’ve done some work for the former Just rentals family though, they became ‘buy as you view’ in the late 90’s before selling out to an American company for a substantial 7 figure sum. Nice family.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(14-08-2020, 08:56 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(14-08-2020, 10:42 AM)Veggie Wrote: Most definitely! Couldn't pass a phone box without pressing the buttons in the hope that some coins might fall out. You could do a lot with tuppence then.Smile
I never did that with telephones but I did with the seven bridge tolls Big Grin
I did the press button B to see if you got any coins back, also as a teenager in the 70’s I learned how to make free phone calls from the public phone by tapping it. I used call my friends or girlfriends from the phone box for free so I could talk without my parents hearing me.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Vinny