Hybrid tomato
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Peel a gnomes sweet a$$

No more bizarre than dancing with smurfs   Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Mikey, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Thicko..............
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Mikey, Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
Only 8 more generations to go before it's genetically stable  Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Mikey, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
^^^That's gives Mikey 8 years to decide on a name. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Mikey

Mikey Offline
I’m not sure I’m genetically stable. Were you suggesting I call the tomato Thicko, V? Or were you referring to SC. Tongue
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
You actually. Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Mikey

Mikey Offline
Well I am the fat controller in this house so accurate on multiple levels. Big Grin
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just to mix it up a little ( scarlet runs for cover! )
tomatoes rarely cross unless they have a potato leaf to start. CDB doesnt have a potato leaf? ( I haven't checked so I could be wrong) I'm sure I've saved seed from this variety and it has come true.
Sungold has a normal leaf, is an F1 so as SP has found - may not come true. Why do you think it's crossed with the CDB?
Could this just be a F2 sungold offspring?
Could this seedling be a tomato seed from your compost bin...a tomato grown from the year before? Or a bought tomato that has been composted?
I have tomatoes sprouting up all over the place due to using my compost bins.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Mikey Offline
I can't explain why I can only identify the varied characteristics. So here goes;

CDB - Has thick stems, ridged for extra strength, leaves are large, bigger than my hand, and hide most of the plant, the fruit is heavy and heart-shaped with really soft thin skins. The fruit grows in groups of 2-3 on short fruit stems close to the main stem.

Sungold - Have thin round stems, thin leaves on shorter branches, there is lots of air between the layers. The fruit grows in pairs on long flowering stems up to 2 feet in length with 30-40 hanging fruit. The fruit is small round and thicker-skinned.

Hybrid plant - Thick ridged stems, huge leaves masking most of the plant, the fruit is round 1/2 the size of CDB with thick leathery skins which bizarrely can be peeled off. Fruit is long stems but not in pairs but in multiple side shoots of twos and threes.

Characteristics look on the face of it to be a combination of both plants but, that's not to say they couldn't be alternative plants. A possible alternative would be wrong seeds in seed packs. I planted 3 seeds per 4-inch pot and 8-9 seedlings came up. The soil only came from beneath the CDB so once I'd identified the San Marzano and Sungold varieties which I had grown the only seedlings left was what was in the compost. The compost was new from the previous spring and nothing grew in it over the previous year. For my greenhouses I use a mix of compost bags, farm manure, and multi purpose compost. I don't use my own compost in the greenhouse but, I do take it out every year and fill/top up my other beds with this soil, and replace with new bagged compost. The three CDB were by the greenhouse door, so it's possible different pollen was brought into the greenhouse. What is not possible is the soil already contained seed or that it came from anywhere else, as only two tomato types were grown in this greenhouse last year, and the compost was only 4-inch thick over a membrane, which below was bagged farm manure so essentially screened.

If it's not possible to combine these two plants, then the only two viable options is the seed in my seed packets was not Sungold or San Marzano or the F1 Sungold reverted to a previous genetic version but, if this is the case they bred it with a monster!!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
It is possible for them to cross - they mainly self pollinate but cross pollination can occur. It has happened to me and I've received a few seed from others that have crossed - but it's not happened very often.
Just once or twice to me. One was German lunch box and I can't remember the other at the moment.
I was just wondering if the other options were in the mix. Nice reviews on the CDB and sun gold though. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Mikey