Question about onions
Curly Offline
As the leaves of some of my onions have bent over I have started to lift them, but can anyone tell me why some onions have grown to a decent size and yet others growing  next to them are small all the same variety and planted at the same time.
The small ones will be used up just the same but just wondering what causes this
[-] The following 2 users Like Curly's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I suspect it is a mixture of genetic, size of seed or set and some slight differences in where planted. Beetroot, parsnips... are similar. And tomato seedlings are selected generally for size when deciding which to discard.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Broadway Offline
(10-08-2020, 11:01 AM)Curly Wrote: As the leaves of some of my onions have bent over I have started to lift them, but can anyone tell me why some onions have grown to a decent size and yet others growing  next to them are small all the same variety and planted at the same time.
The small ones will be used up just the same but just wondering what causes this
You're not alone CurlySmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Maybe you planted them too closely for all of them to grow to full size? Ask them. Tongue
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey, Small chilli

Mikey Offline
Well like people all onions are individual. They are complex and multilayered. Some have a split personality, some have small onion syndrome and some go to seed displaying a stiff spike. Big Grin
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Vinny