Purple podded peas
Mikey Offline
I have grown these before but stopped as I found the flavour a bit of a cross between a pea and a broad bean. I don’t remember the variety.

I found a packet of 10 Heritage seeds Robinson which I’ve put into a tub so I can move it into the greenhouse later in the year. I’ve never grown this variety so don’t know how sweet they are but, for those that grow the purple varieties is there a really sweet variety?
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm growing "Commander" purple podded beans this year - but only to save seeds, not to eat.
Generally, I find purple veg a bit mealy and disappointing; yellow veg a bit wishy washy in flavour.

Robinson peas are green https://hsl.gardenorganic.org.uk/seedlist/pea/robinson
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Mikey Offline
When I typed Robinson Pea into google search half the images came back as purple. So I did Mike maths and assumed I was lured by the colour when picking from HSL catalogue. There were only ten seeds anyway so I wasn’t planning on eating anything that comes off it, I was going to save it for next year hopefully with a few more seeds to play with.

The purple thing, V is that also true of aubergine? Tongue
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
  • Can the Man

Bren Offline
I grow Purple podded peas no idea what variety I eat them as pods in salads/stir fries the mature peas were more like a marrow fat had a coppery taste.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Vinny

Mikey Offline
That’s how I remember them Bren, a slightly bitterness to them like the outer layer of a broad bean. Not unpleasant until compared with a juicy petit pois.
  • Bren