Social distancing in the vegetable garden;)
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
For the past few months we've been distancing ourselves from others by 2 metres/6 feet in old money.  Its an "exclusion zone" that nobody else should enter.
What if it were an "inclusion zone" and within that zone there should be something edible or useful growing?

I've been testing it out, standing in random places around the garden and imagining this circle in which I am the centre.  The area vaguely known as "lawn" was the most difficult - I had to move towards the edges to be within reach of an apple tree or raspberries. I'll work on correcting that because I don't like to be beaten by my own rules. Wink

Try it, I'll be interested in your results.  Cool
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Admin Offline
The Boss
As reach is determined by height, you wont have a very big lawn area V Tongue
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Mikey Offline
Is grass not useful then? Wink
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(08-08-2020, 09:42 PM)Admin Wrote: As reach is determined by height, you wont have a very big lawn area V Tongue
Cheeky  Tongue
(08-08-2020, 09:45 PM)Mikey Wrote: Is grass not useful then? Wink
Nope. Its too needy (and weedy). Regular mowing required and you can't eat it.  Tongue
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Roitelet

Mikey Offline
Well the dogs always seem to like eating a bit of grass and it makes finding poop easier than a bed. I have to mow my lawn as that’s the only way to collect the falling bark off the neighbours eucalyptus.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(08-08-2020, 09:50 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 09:42 PM)Admin Wrote: As reach is determined by height, you wont have a very big lawn area V Tongue
Cheeky  Tongue
(08-08-2020, 09:45 PM)Mikey Wrote: Is grass not useful then? Wink
Nope. Its too needy (and weedy). Regular mowing required and you can't eat it.  Tongue
As a retired head groundsman I have to take you to task on this one veggie! Tongue A lawn is a lot lower maintenance than a herbaceous border or even an allotment. I have a small lawn for sunbathing etc and a small wildflower meadow. My lawn isn't pristine and is kept at about 25mm which allows clover to flourish which keeps it green and the bees love it. Cool Old habits die hard! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
A wildflower meadow isn't a "lawn". A "lawn" is one of those unnaturally green, mowed in stripes, fed and treated spaces. For sunbathing you only need a space that 6x3. Tongue

Mikey Offline
My lawn keeps getting smaller every year. The front lawn will be gone by the end of the month, replaced with an extra parking space and some planters. The rear lawn is about 40% of the size it was when we moved in, but I’m not a stripe officionado
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Think of all the Groundsmen you will put out of a job with your plastic lawns and pitches etc Rolleyes

Long live recreational lawns! Tongue Unless of course there's a war, where I will be happy for them to be turned into allotments.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Veggie