Perennial Beans
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

I never uproot bean plants when they reach the end of the days - not just because they're supposed to have nitrogen nodules or summat on the roots but because they may regrow. 

This is a Gigantes bean and its 4 years old!! Every year it puts up new growth in spring and latches onto whatever it can find. I helped it with a cane this year and its now scrambling into an apricot tree.

I've also had success with Firestorm RBs and Broad beans. 
Worth a try!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Mamzie

Bren Offline
In the past I’ve potted up scarlet emperor beans leaving them to over winter in the GH, didn’t do it this year but I did have 2 plants survive outdoors and they’re doing well. Will be picking beans tomorrowSmile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I just wonder what the failure rate is?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons

Mikey Offline
Do they become less productive in following years as suggested?.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(09-08-2020, 10:39 AM)Vinny Wrote: I just wonder what the failure rate is?
No idea - but does it matter? All you have to do is cut the plant down at the end of the season and leave the roots in situ. If it comes back, its a bonus.
(10-08-2020, 09:19 PM)Mikey Wrote: Do they become less productive in following years as suggested?.
No idea - this is my stock answer as I've retired from bean counting.
  • Mikey

Mikey Offline
Tongue I don’t know you ask a serious question and look what you get. Big Grin

If you can’t tell if the productivity has fallen off that’s good enough for me. Wink
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
Hhmmm,I'm up for trying this veggie. Will try with broads and cfb. Think I'll just mulch with some fym and see what happens. Worst case I'll just sow fresh seed next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimny14's post:
  • Veggie

Mikey Offline
You can do both the existing root will just be further advanced next year giving lovely pods earlier. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Jimny14

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(11-08-2020, 11:57 PM)Mikey Wrote: You can do both the existing root will just be further advanced next year giving lovely pods earlier. Wink
Not necessarily!!

The existing root will grow when it judges the soil/weather is right, not before. If you start seeds in modules. you can start earlier and take a gamble on whether the weather will be right when they're ready to plat out.
  • Mikey

Mikey Offline
I’m not as on it as you V, so I tend to be a little behind nature not showing her what to do. Wink I’ve also only got the three greenhouses so I’m limited on indoor space and beds so these tend to be for tomatoes not other veg. Smile