Fun with Fennel
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Introduction - Hello. Smile

There are 2 sorts of Fennel - the Annual bulb fennel and the Perennial "herb fennel.
This question is mostly about the annual one.

I've never managed to grow any Bulb Fennel - always seem to miss the optimum sowing date which appears to be July - first 2 weeks in August - in other words, NOW!! - although some of the seed packets give earlier dates which apparently, can lead to bolting.

Fennel di Firenze seems to be a popular giveaway on magazine covers - I have 4 unopened packets, only one in sow-by date - so he's the lucky bunny who's going to find his way into some modules today (doesn't like transplanting but I'm hopeless at sowing direct). The old seeds will be scattered randomly, in hope. 

I'm also going to start some Herb Fennel, the perennial one, green and bronze, to keep Florence company. 

Anyone growing Fennel bulbs this year?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Failed miserably with fennel in the past, wasn't too bothered as I don't even know whether I like it, but might give it another go as you've reminded us all it's sowing time.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I've got a few modules going - I think I've tried it before and not had any luck, but I'm willing to persevere since I like it (in moderation).

It makes a nice summer salad with salmon, but as I don't eat fish (or meat) any more, I need to find other things to do with it!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I grow it (bulb) every year and harvest one or two small bulbs each year - just about enough for one risotto. Love it, so I keep trying. I have sowed two lots of 6 modules so far this year (di Firenze) and have three seedlings, two in one module, naturally! I'll sow som di sarno later because that will cope with the cold at the end of the year.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Bren Offline
I sown some last month only one grew it’s now under the brassica tunnel thought it might be safe there so I’d not confuse it with the herb fennel that self seeds all over the garden.
After reading your post veggie I’ll sow some more this evening when it’s cooler.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Vinny Online
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
The bronze fennel is a thug. Once you have it you will always have it. Rolleyes

I used to copy the Roman idea of chewing the seeds each morning as a breath freshener. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'd be happy if Bronze fennel was a thug here - I love brushing past the stems and breathing that fresh smell that reminds me of Mediterranean holidays.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.