Confused
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
For the first time this year I’ve had a net tunnel over half my brassica bed. They’ve all grown twice the height of the ones not covered. But none of the cabbages have hearted up. Have I used the wrong sort of netting? It was just some fabric I had in my sowing box. A stretchy fine hold netting. Would the colour of the fabric make a difference to what heat was produced within the tunnel or something. 
I don’t think they’re going to do much now, even though they look very healthy.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man

Mikey Offline
What variety were they SC, some are more loose than others. Head forming cabbages from experience don’t like rich soil, they generally like firm ground which hasn’t been manured. If the soil is too rich the head won’t form it’s just a mass of open leaves instead. It doesn’t stop you eating them they all look the same shredded up on my plate. I actually prefer the darker leaves as I can taste the irony goodness. Yum

Open sprouts however don’t have the same appeal.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
They are the same varieties as the ones in the uncovered half of the bed. Which have stayed low growing & hearted up.
Varieties are romanesco, red drumhead, golden acre, April.
I didn’t know that about the manured beds. I thought brassicas liked it. They always get well stamped in after planting to compact the ground around them.
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
The photos still don’t really show the size difference.

• Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Could it  be that you have created a micro-climate under the mesh which has resulted in leafier growth? Huh

For some reason this year my Autumn planted Spring Cabbage have made huge plants before they decided to heart up Sick . My intention this year is to plant them closer together to try and limit there size. Idea
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:

Mikey Offline
Hi SC, it looks like you might either be low on magnesium in the foreground where the leaves have all turned Autumn colours, or that particular section is low on nitrogen (I’d favour the latter, as the plants in general are smaller). Might be worth testing the soil to make sure, as the first one is not as easy a fix.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
The autumn colour leaves are from cauliflowers that I’ve already harvested. I’ve just left them for the bugs. In the desperate attempt to get them to leave the stuff alone that’s still growing.

The ground could be deficient in many things. That’s where my gardening skills fall flat on its face. I just don’t get it  Blush
  • Can the Man

Mikey Offline
Cauli’s !! Christ I need new glasses. Smile

I’m always learning SC and I hope I always will.