Manure and Root Crops, and Rotation
Broadway Offline
Morning Folks

Again a planning question for next year...

So from what I'm reading I should avoid adding manure to the beds I plan for roots (and onions??) next year, is this correct?

If so the year after will roots (and onions) be ok in the previously manured beds?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
As far as I know, Danny, and no doubt there are far more knowledgeable out there than I, onions like a rich soil and are quite hungry, so would be more than happy in manure, whereas the roots like a bed fed the previous year.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(02-08-2020, 11:13 AM)JJB Wrote: As far as I know, Danny, and no doubt there are far more knowledgeable out there than I,  onions like a rich soil and are quite hungry, so would be more than happy in manure, whereas the roots like a bed fed the previous year.
Thanks JJB, the onion one sounded a little odd too meSmile
  • Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Generally, manure is applied where potatoes are to be grown and the following year in a rotation might include cabbage and the application of lime (I've never used lime or manure though, only garden compost). With roots next, you might add some fish, bone and blood (not used that either). I would have thought though, if you were using the no dig system and using the manure as a surface dressing, it would not cause forking. I don't know if anyone has ever done any experiments in this regard. You would probably need to plant the seeds in the soil and rake the manure back when the seeds were through.

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(02-08-2020, 11:39 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 11:13 AM)JJB Wrote: As far as I know, Danny, and no doubt there are far more knowledgeable out there than I,  onions like a rich soil and are quite hungry, so would be more than happy in manure, whereas the roots like a bed fed the previous year.
Thanks JJB, the onion one sounded a little odd too meSmile

My advice might be totally wrong for no dig beds though, never tried no dig myself.  Vinny's the expert there I believe.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Mikey Offline
I like the theory behind no dig but, also like an open trench for my beans I’ve never been able to marry the two schools of thought into a coherent practise.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(03-08-2020, 07:15 AM)Mikey Wrote: I like the theory behind no dig but, also like an open trench for my beans I’ve never been able to marry the two schools of thought into a coherent practise.
I like the theory too but I don't have a supply of manure/compost or whatever to cover the garden a couple of inches deep every year so my plants have to get by on whatever they can find in the existing soil. If they're lucky they'll get a handful of chicken manure pellets at planting out time.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
Thanks for all your comments folks.

My beds will primarily be no dig however I'll probably do a trench for the beans.

I will plan to manure most of the beds this year but will avoid the roots ones.
  • Can the Man

Admin Offline
The Boss
If you use well rotted manure in the autumn it should be fine in the spring for planting
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(03-08-2020, 06:46 PM)Admin Wrote: If you use well rotted manure in the autumn it should be fine in the spring for planting
For all crops?
  • Can the Man