Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I'm self sufficient in weeds!!!!!! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 7 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, Jimny14, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I think it would be great to work a barter system, for example our lifestyle doesn’t permit us to have chickens and ducks but a neighbour does, so I swap tomatoes and cucumbers for eggs.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 4 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Bren, Jimny14, JJB, Scarlet

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I don't have anywhere near enough space to be self-sufficient in everything, even for just the two of us. However I think that with some experience I could get reasonably self-sufficient in herbs, leafy greens and summer squash as they're all fairly easy to grow, as well as being good value for money/effort involved. For the rest, it's just nice to have tomatoes fresh off the vine and other zero-food-miles additions to the larder.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Earlier this year I picked up 5 cabbage seedlings from the local shop, don't know what variety but they're all ready to eat now. One cabbage a week to eat is about right for me so growing 52 cabbages (well) in a year is sufficient.
I've experienced cabbage overload in the past and there's nothing worse than watching your cherished cabbages split and bolt because you can't face eating another cabbage.

So my "Grow Sufficient List" so far is 2/3 bags of onion sets and 52 cabbages. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(03-08-2020, 04:37 PM)Veggie Wrote: Earlier this year I picked up 5 cabbage seedlings from the local shop, don't know what variety but they're all ready to eat now. One cabbage a week to eat is about right for me so growing 52 cabbages (well) in a year is sufficient.
I've experienced cabbage overload in the past and there's nothing worse than watching your cherished cabbages split and bolt because you can't face eating another cabbage.

So my "Grow Sufficient List" so far is 2/3 bags of onion sets and 52 cabbages. Smile
52 cabbages for me would be cabbage overload. 52 mixed brassicas maybe, but cabbages ...no. The problem with mixed brassicas  though is often they will be ready at the same time (same as cabbages) so the planning would be very reliant on mother nature playing the game. I hasten to add I am not a vegetarian so not so reliant on veg.
The trick is to eat seasonal and shun the freezer so alternative ways of storing veg for a short time would be necessary. I personally don't bottle enough mixed veg
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(03-08-2020, 04:37 PM)Veggie Wrote: Earlier this year I picked up 5 cabbage seedlings from the local shop, don't know what variety but they're all ready to eat now. One cabbage a week to eat is about right for me so growing 52 cabbages (well) in a year is sufficient.

52 cabbages!! I like a good cabbage now and again, but I prefer looser-leaved brassicas: kale, pak choi, etc. This year I'm going to be trying out fast-growing broccolinis such as kailaan and cima di rapa, as a) we love stir-fries and b) I'm impatient!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-08-2020, 09:15 AM)Vinny Wrote:

52 cabbages for me would be cabbage overload. 52 mixed brassicas maybe, but cabbages ...no. The problem with mixed brassicas  though is often they will be ready at the same time (same as cabbages) so the planning would be very reliant on mother nature playing the game. I hasten to add I am not a vegetarian so not so reliant on veg.
The trick is to eat seasonal and shun the freezer so alternative ways of storing veg for a short time would be necessary. I personally don't bottle enough mixed veg
I need to come clean here - its the first year I've ever had any worthwhile cabbages - they always seem to be slugged, caterpillared or rotted - hence my delight at having 5 good ones.  Big Grin
Just musing now.................if you grow spring, summer and autumn/winter maturing cabbages, red and white - and grew ?12 of each that should be about right for a year!
If they fail, I can fall back on the ever present perennial kales and self seeders that keep appearing.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Mikey Offline
I think it’s ok to grow more than you need as long as you’ve thought about what to do with the excess, for the rainy day.

Clamping, drying, freezing, pickles, jams, ferments are some of my options. Having enough jars, tubs, freezer and shelf space, And cardboard boxes for when the gluts arrive though takes a lot of planning time and effort, and Mother Nature is very unpredictable with what gluts she gives you.

Giving it away to be honest is the easy option and I do a fair bit of that, being prepared is a lot harder.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(05-08-2020, 11:16 PM)Mikey Wrote: I think it’s ok to grow more than you need as long as you’ve thought about what to do with the excess, for the rainy day.

Clamping, drying, freezing, pickles, jams, ferments are some of my options. Having enough jars, tubs, freezer and shelf space, And cardboard boxes for when the gluts arrive though takes a lot of planning time and effort, and Mother Nature is very unpredictable with what gluts she gives you.

Giving it away to be honest is the easy option and I do a fair bit of that, being prepared is a lot harder.

The main things I grow too much of (besides courgettes) is cabbages but the state they sometimes end up in, not many people would want them. They tend to have populations of slugs and caterpillars. I once gave my mother-in-law what I considered a perfectly good cauliflower but I was informed it had to be binned because it was crawling with caterpillars, it was the last she got.
People have been so conditioned to expect veg to be perfectly clean and, after a quick rinse to be ready to cook, though they are likely loaded with unseen chemicals.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Broadway, Eyren, Mikey, Veggie

Mikey Offline
Admit it Mark you were winding up the MIL weren’t you.!! Wink
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie