What to grow in a Shady Bed over winterr
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Looking for ideas on making the most of a shady bed over winter.

Its part of the old chicken run - about 10' x 10' and shaded on most sides during the summer; overhung by an oak trees. 
Shed to the west, plum tree to the south, fence to the north and fruit bushes to the east. Perfect for a chicken run but hopeless for growing summer veg - believe me, I've tried. Wink.
However, in  winter, all this changes! The trees lose their leaves and there's a little more overhead light - but the sun has moved around, rises in the south east and sets in the south west -  fewer hours of sunlight. 
BUT the oak leaves won't fall until Oct/Nov and will be back by April.
On the positive side, its fertile soil, well manured and pecked over by various chooks over the years.

If you've stuck with this so far, well done!! Basically, I need suggestions for plants that will grow over winter and be ready by April. Not much to ask, is it? 

I have some ideas but thought I'd ask you too. Great minds and all that.  Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
grow spring cabbage to plant out there late september/early October. mixed in with snowdrops daffodils and tulips. You could try a few Autumn planted garlic and onions to see how they cope?
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

This was the "bed" in April - its the part behind and to the right of the gate. The bit behind the next lot of fence is full of tree roots and not much use for growing.
  • Can the Man

Bren Offline
Arctic King, or All year Round winter lettuce, Chard should be ok as well. Then there’s always Sweet peas.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Cabbages and sprouts
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I need to be able to sow the seeds at this time of year so it may be too late for sprouts.
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(26-07-2020, 10:10 PM)Veggie Wrote: I need to be able to sow the seeds at this time of year so  it may be too late for sprouts.
You’ve never passed up a challenge before, start off the seeds in your GH or PT. I started sprout seeds about 2 weeks ago because the high winds broke up a number of my mature sprouts, they are about 2-3” already.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
OK Challenge accepted . Wink
  • Can the Man

Curly Offline
All year round lettuce, A. Y. R. cauliflower, and chard/spinach and I would give leeks a go as well
[-] The following 3 users Like Curly's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Winter lettuces and things like beetroot and turnips, kohlrabi would be happy just with a bit of fleece chucked over if it turns really cold i would have thought.
Herbs like parsley or coriander?
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie