Cucumber Curry Recipe
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I thought some of you might like this cucumber curry recipe that we've been using for the last few years - sour, fragrant, fresh and as hot as you want!

Cucumber Curry - from the internet with apologies to the original unknown creator.

For two people when served with 2 or 3 other dishes.

1 cucumber, cut into 5cm (ish) batons or chunks
½ tbs fenugreek seeds
Walnut sized piece of tamarind, soaked in 5tbs hot water for about 20 minutes and then pressed through a sieve to get about 3 tbs of pulpy tamarind water 
1 fresh green medium hot chilli, or to taste
2 tbs desiccated coconut
½ tsp black mustard seeds
½ tsp ground turmeric
Dried (or fresh) curry leaves, about half a dozen broken up
Veg oil – ½ tbs
Salt to taste

Dry roast the fenugreek until fragrant then blend briefly into a lumpy paste with the coconut, turmeric, fresh chilli & tamarind water.

Heat the oil and fry the mustard seeds until they begin to pop, turn the heat down and add the curry leaves and the paste. Cook gently for two or three minutes before adding the cucumber. Turn the cucumber over in the paste until it is well coated and warmed through – you don’t want to cook the cucumber. You should end up with crunchy cucumber coated in the zingy paste.

Season to taste with salt. Serve warm.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(25-07-2020, 10:58 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I thought some of you might like this cucumber curry recipe that we've been using for the last few years - sour, fragrant, fresh and as hot as you want!

Cucumber Curry - from the internet with apologies to the original unknown creator.

For two people when served with 2 or 3 other dishes.

1 cucumber, cut into 5cm (ish) batons or chunks
½ tbs fenugreek seeds
Walnut sized piece of tamarind, soaked in 5tbs hot water for about 20 minutes and then pressed through a sieve to get about 3 tbs of pulpy tamarind water 
1 fresh green medium hot chilli, or to taste
2 tbs desiccated coconut
½ tsp black mustard seeds
½ tsp ground turmeric
Dried (or fresh) curry leaves, about half a dozen broken up
Veg oil – ½ tbs
Salt to taste

Dry roast the fenugreek until fragrant then blend briefly into a lumpy paste with the coconut, turmeric, fresh chilli & tamarind water.

Heat the oil and fry the mustard seeds until they begin to pop, turn the heat down and add the curry leaves and the paste. Cook gently for two or three minutes before adding the cucumber. Turn the cucumber over in the paste until it is well coated and warmed through – you don’t want to cook the cucumber. You should end up with crunchy cucumber coated in the zingy paste.

Season to taste with salt. Serve warm.
Hiya PP

I assume it will work as well with courgettes?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I don't see why not Danny - you'd probably want to cook the courgettes in the paste a litle longer so would need to make sure it doesn't catch and burn. Give it a whirl and let us know. Smile
I have quite a lot of these 'base' recipes that get various veggies or pulses, or even left overs from a roast added in.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man