Square pots or round?
Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Can you recycle black pots where you are, Veggie? If you can, then ditch the black ones and keep the orange ones, if you can't recycle black, then keep the black and ditch the orange, then keep the square and ditch the round.

I like square because they fit in trays better, and roots don't end up circling the pot so much.

There must be advantages to round ones or they wouldn't be used so much commercially. Perhaps it is as you say, they take less filling.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've just ordered a 'massive' (their words not mine) garden storage box to store gravel trays, pots and sowing paraphernalia in order to free up some space in the shed for all the other stuff, in fact to make it so we can enter the shed rather than clamber over kit to get in.

Do you wash pots as you go or store dirty ones ready for washing in the winter/spring. Or do you not bother to wash?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Can't recycle black pots here - but could offer them on one of the Freebie groups - which is what I intend to do with all the odd ones..

There's one exception to that - coloured pots are being kept, whatever their size!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(24-07-2020, 08:54 PM)JJB Wrote: I've just ordered a 'massive' (their words not mine) garden storage box to store gravel trays, pots and sowing  paraphernalia in order to free up some space in the shed for all the other stuff, in fact to make it so we can enter the shed rather than clamber over kit to get in.

Do you wash pots as you go or store dirty ones ready for washing in the winter/spring.  Or do you not bother to wash?
I don't wash pots - just brush off the soil. Life's too short............Wink
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
I don't wash pots either, and I prefer square pots, especially for small pots because I feel I get more growing time in the same pot because a square pot holds more compost than a round ones. For larger pots I prefer round ones, strangely!
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I used to wash, but not any more. ; life is indeed too short!
After use they live in the outdoor sink until they either get re-used or put away, so the top ones get a wash! Otherwise, left to dry and then a quick brush.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I've read that it's better to plant trees into square holes than round because hitting the corners makes the roots grow out whereas, in round holes, they are more likely to clump together. However, then I read this, which makes a lot of sense and also explains the more soil in square pots than equal diameter round pots thing in a nice visual way.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Thanks Proserpina. Smile
Anyone who questions James Wong is worth reading. Smile

As a further thought, proved on the back of an envelope, one can draw a square either outside or inside a circle. The area of the inside square will be much less than the outside square. I may have to play with pots - round pot inside square pot with a square pot inside the round pot. This may take some time.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Proserpina, Vinny

Bren Offline
I rinse pots in a trug but thats about it was washing the trug water then gets used on containers/pots/ GH.

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I don't think the plants are bothered what shape pot it is in as long as it is big enough for the length of time it is in it. If you are going to plant out reasonably soon then not so much compost is needed. The article Proserpina linked says that a square pot has about 25% more compost than a round one that would fit just inside the square one, may be a bit more if the sides are nearer to the vertical.
You would waste less water watering a tray of square pots. I use round pots as I got a load and also some purpose trays that a dozen pots fit into for carrying, free from a nursery whose owner was retiring. She said that she used to use a handle that would fit 2 trays on so she could carry 4 trays, 48 3.5" pots, at a time but she didn't have any then.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie