Tomatoes and the birds
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I grow a few toms outdoors and have found, for the first year ever, that birds have taken to pecking at the ripening fruit.  I have a feeling it's a female blackbird, as I've seen it scurrying about under the plants. I hope she's not teaching the skill to any others. One pecked  fruit was in the GH.   I've taken measures to shield the door there but am at a loss what to do about outdoor plants.  Any experience of this anyone?

My poor tomatoes

Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Blackbirds peck at everything here. Can you net them (the toms, not the birds!).
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(24-07-2020, 10:28 AM)Veggie Wrote: Blackbirds peck at everything here. Can you net them (the toms, not the birds!).

I will have to try both!  Or a shotgun.  Angry Seriously though  it's not easy to net toms,  they're in the edge of a bed in a long row.  Maybe some scaring tactics or even putting some saucers of water out, as I believe the birds are looking for water not food.  Just another of those little setbacks we gardeners are so used to.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
When I find pecked fruit on the trees/ground and curse, I try to remember how delighted I was to find a blackbird's nest in the fruit bushes, how I didn't pick any gooseberries because I didn't want to disturb the mother, how I watched the 4 eggs hatch and the fledglings leave home and I can't be cross about sharing some fruit with them.

Now squirrels, they're another story.!
  • JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
The blackbird and her family came into the polytunnel to help themselves to the tomatoes last year.
I’ve only had one ripe tomato so far this year so they haven’t been in yet. Hopefully they won’t do it again this year.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(24-07-2020, 11:16 AM)Veggie Wrote: When I find pecked fruit on the trees/ground and curse, I try to remember how delighted I was to find a blackbird's nest in the fruit bushes, how I didn't pick any gooseberries because I didn't want to disturb the mother, how I watched the 4 eggs hatch and the fledglings leave home and I can't be cross about sharing some fruit with them.

Now squirrels, they're another story.!

Don't get Paul started on squirrels!   We've had the lower lawn reseeded last autumn and squirrels are avidly digging holes in the young grass.   Wretched vermin!  I had words with female blackbird I found in the GH this afternoon, after much flapping and panicking she found her way out.  I'm not certain if there was any collateral damage or broken fruit fronds, as I haven't had a chance to look.  I've now netted the doors of both GHs.  I'm not as forgiving as you VC, but she lives to scrump another day.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I couldn't net the GH doors as I have a robin and a wren who regularly pop in to inspect the plants but I do block the bottom half of the door to keep the dogs and the chicken out. The dogs pick the tomatoes and the chicken eats the lettuce and digs holes to dust bath in. You're lucky you only have a blackbird to contend with!!
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yeah my boy breeze grazes the tomatoes on his way past as well.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie