Tomato Gallery
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Maybe try picking when they are a bit "greener" Jonah. I love black cherry - one of my favourites.

Black Icicle

I grow this every year. It's a fab tomato. Has that lovely black tomato flavour when eaten fresh but is also very good when cooked. The tomatoes are around 3inches long plum shame often with a long nipple on the end. It hangs in large clusters on the vine. A dark mahogany fruit with lots of green shoulders. The vines are super tall, but can be quite spindly. The leaves are super droopy so the plant can often look sick. Ignore that and just keep harvesting. This tomato always gets 10/10 from me.

The crate photo isn't great - I just wanted to show off my haul last week Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Mamzie, PyreneesPlot, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
Black Russian probably well known to everyone as I don't grow obscure tomatoes........ yet  Smile  

A black (as the name suggests) beefsteak variety.  Not at all uniform in shape in the GH but quite amusing and the first few fruit are large.  The outside plant has smaller more uniform fruit.  Harvest isn't  huge as even in the GH I only get 3-4 trusses

I love the colour when sliced and the taste appeals to me.  Very juicy and flavour nice especially when cooked.
I've grown it for a few years now and will grow again next year.

PS. Love this thread, thanks  Scarlet.  I expect some of the reviews will shape my growing plans next year - especially if there's a tomato seed swap.

This one weighed 476g, over 16oz

Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 6 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mamzie, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Black Russian is one of my favourites - but that is a whopper! Tomato seeds will be in our seed swap Smile I'm saving mine.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Black Prince

Good production, medium fruit, lovely colour (this one is perhaps a bit underripe, they can go a deeper red-brown). Taste is pretty good with hints of lemon, but not the deep rich taste I look for in black tomatoes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Scarlet

toomanytommytoes Offline
Clear Pink Early

Determinate plant, not as early as most of the other varieties I grew outdoors this year. Average production, pretty colour but the taste was just OK.

• JJB, Mamzie, Scarlet

toomanytommytoes Offline
Rose de Berne

Very good producer of medium to large, deep pink fruit. Very good taste. Second year we've grown it and it's a definite keeper for its combination of taste, productivity and earliness.

• JJB, Mamzie, Scarlet

toomanytommytoes Offline
Dwarf Tasmanian Chocolate

Another variety from the Dwarf Tomato Project. Very productive but relatively late. Fruit is of varying size, I guess depending on how many set per flower cluster. Very good taste. Did suffer a bit from blossom end rot at first but then it was only in a 15 L pot in the hottest part of the greenhouse. The plant is about 4 feet tall and the foliage is very dense which could be a problem later in the year if botytris appears. Would grow it again if there was space in the greenhouse for a bigger cage to let it spread out a bit more.

• JJB, Mamzie, Scarlet

toomanytommytoes Offline
Moskovich/Moskvich

I suspect a duff packet of seeds as they were very slow to germinate and the plant has been a bit unhealthy for most of the season (pale foliage and leaves turning yellow very early on). Despite this the plant produced very well, ripened early and the fruit are pretty tasty. Not particularly outstanding but I would grow it again.

• JJB, Mamzie, Scarlet

toomanytommytoes Offline
Rosella

Very productive cherry. Similar to Black Cherry but a bit darker/richer in colour and more of a (tropical?) fruity taste.

[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet

toomanytommytoes Offline
Galina

Potato leaved, yellow cherry. Grown outdoors so it's been battered by several storms this season. Production is average and the flavour is pretty good when fully ripe. Would like to see how it does in a greenhouse.

• JJB, Mamzie, Scarlet