Copper tape
Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
(20-05-2020, 10:53 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: It's possible you already have slugs or at least slug eggs in the compost in the pots though. I'd use nematodes and the copper bands if you already have them. I think it does help where you don't have too many of them. In my garden they move in such numbers that there' always one ******* that crosses it, leaves a trail just to tease you and proceed to munch the whole plant.

I swear by nematodes.

I swear by nematodes also. I use them every year. I don’t use them in my polytunnel pots & definitely not in my chilli grow system which has a very balanced & constant nutrient being fed into the pots/chilli. Which is where my slug (s) are partying. Never had a problem before. But I did change part of my homemade venison of the chilli grow system which I think has made things easier for mr slug. Hence the asking about copper tape  Smile .

(20-05-2020, 11:26 PM)Curly Wrote: There was a program on telly about a young couple working a farm or smallholding and they were having problems with slugs so they put a copper band round their pots and they then fillimed ed a slug crawling over the top of the band so definitely didn't stop them
That’s why I was asking, didn’t know how well it work or if it worked at all. All I know is it’s not the cheapest thing to buy. I’d still rather try the tape, than using pellets. I’ll let the slugs have all my plants before I used those things.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay

Curly Offline
Need to ask what's the problem with using organic pellets
[-] The following 1 user Likes Curly's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
Personal choice. I’d just rather not use them.
  • Can the Man, Jay

SarrissUK Offline
There are pellets apparently that aren't poisonous, but simply make the slugs sterile, so they can't have any babies. Maybe they would be of interest?

I don't use slug pellets either. I have some somewhere but not thought to use them for years and years.
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Stem20 Offline
I’ve used old copper tubing across the entrances to the poly tunnel this year, I will see if it makes any difference
[-] The following 3 users Like Stem20's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Small chilli

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
I used copper grease on pots some time ago and it seemed to work, whether it was the copper or grease I haven't a clue.
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 3 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Small chilli

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
(07-06-2020, 10:47 AM)Norfolk Grey Wrote: I used copper grease on pots some time ago and it seemed to work, whether it was the copper or grease I haven't a clue.
That is genius! I’m so trying that. Thank you.
  • Can the Man, Norfolk Grey