Copper tape
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Has anyone used copper tape? Does it actually work? 
I’m having a bit of trouble with my homemade chilli grow system. It’s all plastic and them little slimy ******* are starting to feast on my Trinidad perfume.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.

Jay Offline
I did a couple of years ago but only on pots. I put the tape round twice so there were two rows. Seemed to work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay's post:
  • Small chilli

Baldy Offline
I've got it on a few of my pots - I have a feeling it helps but I'm a long way from scientific in my techniques Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Baldy's post:
  • Jay, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(19-05-2020, 06:50 PM)Baldy Wrote: I've got it on a few of my pots - I have a feeling it helps but I'm a long way from scientific in my techniques Wink
That’s also know as winging it, I believe  Wink and how gardening works   Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Baldy, Jay, Norfolk Grey

Neffa Offline
Like Jay I double it on my pots.
On the tiny plastic raised beds I’ve got I taped the top edges and just inside the beds.
My DFB’s and dwarf runners have so far escaped damage.
Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. 

Quote author unknown.
[-] The following 2 users Like Neffa's post:
  • Jay, Small chilli

Curly Offline
I have used copper tape round some pots but as slugs can enter the pots at the base it was a waste of time I find organic pellets a better option

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I found copper tape definitely stops snails from snuggling up under the outside curve of the rim on large plastic tubs. I used to hate putting my fingers under to lift a tub and feeling three or four bodies there. Ugh! it doesn't seem to weather too well though. After two or three (outdoor) seasons it loses its stickiness and peels off. I'm thinking about trying copper wire wound round instead.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • Jay, Small chilli

SarrissUK Offline
It's possible you already have slugs or at least slug eggs in the compost in the pots though. I'd use nematodes and the copper bands if you already have them. I think it does help where you don't have too many of them. In my garden they move in such numbers that there' always one ******* that crosses it, leaves a trail just to tease you and proceed to munch the whole plant.

I swear by nematodes.

Curly Offline
There was a program on telly about a young couple working a farm or smallholding and they were having problems with slugs so they put a copper band round their pots and they then fillimed ed a slug crawling over the top of the band so definitely didn't stop them

Greenfingers Offline
I'd be tempted to wire the copper tape up to an electrical supply......
[-] The following 4 users Like Greenfingers's post:
  • Admin, Moth, Norfolk Grey, Small chilli