Gooseberry glut, ideas please?
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
As the title says, I have collected about 2 kilo of gooseberries today with about another 3 kilo's to collect! So what do I do with 5 kilo's of goosegogs?

I thought about using gooseberry jelly as a base for different coloured chilli jams as one option? Huh My strawberries are about finished but I have still to harvest blackcurrants, redcurrants and whitecurrants so maybe an amalgamation of these?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Roitelet Offline
Jam or jelly or perhaps Chutney. Or you could top and tail them and freeze.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Gooseberry curd is delicious and will use some of your eggs- it's fabulous and well worth having a go but it doesn't have a super long shelf life as jam or chutney.
But is probably one of my favourite curd/jams for on toast.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Gooseberry Curd Recipe

I've just taken a photo from my book - basic basics by Mauguerite Patten. It also says that it does keep as well as jam if you don't omit any of the sugar - remember that sugar is the preservative and if you reduce any of that in a jam etc they won't keep as well.

#I haven't got chickens at the moment and this is one thing I really miss!
I usually use the whole egg but if I make meringues I use 6 egg yokes and use the curd as an alternative to raspberries ( when not in season) for a desert.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Admin Offline
The Boss
Some ideas here

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/coll...y-recipes/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • Can the Man

SarrissUK Offline
Gooseberry fool! Meringue nests with gooseberries and chocolate drizzled over! Cook them down and freeze as a last resort (if you're anything like me and don't ever defrost anything fruity if it isn't raspberries)
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Gooseberry ice-cream, gooseberry crumble, gooseberries eaten raw at almost any stage of ripeness, gooseberry fool, gooseberries stewed over sponge or with ice-cream (or both!), mmm gooseberry trifle perhaps, I bet a gooseberry shrub would be good, gooseberries, gooseberries, gooseberries....

Sorry, went off in a bit of a daze there. I love gooseberries. They are my favourite berry. My container harvests have been rather modest, and none at all this year as I managed to kill my nice red gooseberry (though three of the six cuttings I took from it peri-mortem are still alive) and my green gooseberry is in the same tiny pot I bought it in. This time next year, I hope to have gooseberries galore!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, SarrissUK, Vinny