Special Offers
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(14-11-2020, 07:03 PM)Spec Wrote: JJB would you recommend redskin dahlias, I have never tried that veriety, but am looking for something nice to mass plant in a new bed next to my potio

Spec, don't ask me about anything flowery, I'm a right numpty in that area.  I just happened to see Redskins on the Suttons sale website and thought they might be nice and a little more spectacular than the bog standard dwarf bedding ones I grew this year which were unremarkable and 4ft high.   Then looked on Premier Seeds and saw the stocked them too.  So if I get some seed I will be as knowledgeable as you.  Wink  I think Scarlet is our go to person for flowers.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Spec Offline
Thanks for the reply JJB, perhaps I will need to tiptoe when near Scarlet, but yes she is our dahlia expert, Smile and no I am not trying to butter you up Scarlet, I know you have a lot more experience than meRolleyes Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • JJB

MartinH Offline
I grew a packet of Redskin many years ago. They were really easy to grow and I thought that the bronze foliage sets off the flowers really well. I seem to remember they were only a foot or so tall, but memory is getting vague these days.
[-] The following 2 users Like MartinH's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Spec Offline
^^^^^^ I wouldn't worry too much about that Martin, I am quite sure Veggie will be the same at her age, but she still manages Big Grin as for the dahlias, that is the hight I am looking for, so thanks for that info
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • JJB, MartinH

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(15-11-2020, 07:44 PM)Spec Wrote: ^^^^^^ I wouldn't worry too much about that Martin, I am quite sure Veggie will be the same at her age, but she still manages Big Grin  as for the dahlias, that is the hight I am looking for, so thanks for that info

I think Redskins might be a definite maybe for both of us Spec. I must add them to my seed wishlist.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Spec

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
With "Black Friday" approaching, most of the seed companies have special offers - even if its just Free P&P. My advice - don't order any seeds until next weekend.
Also Mr F gives you 2 free packets of seed with every order - even if you only order one packet. I did this twice in one day last year and there was no problem. Smile

Can't remember the seed varieties at the moment - think its a blue Clary and lemon Coriander.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Van Meuwen have a £1 seed sale, but at £4.95 delivery, I'm afraid I'm not tempted
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Van Meuwen are part of T&M - so I'm not tempted either!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
£4.95 for delivery of seeds is an absolute rip off, not sure how they justify charging that much when lots of other seed companies manage with £2 or under. I only ever order from Thompson & Morgan if they have free postage and a seed sale combined. Let's hope black Friday gives us a chance to rip them off instead Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(22-11-2020, 03:37 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: £4.95 for delivery of seeds is an absolute rip off, not sure how they justify charging that much when lots of other seed companies manage with £2 or under. I only ever order from Thompson & Morgan if they have free postage and a seed sale combined. Let's hope black Friday gives us a chance to rip them off instead Big Grin

To be fair, T&M do delivery on seeds only at £2.99, but that's still too much if you only want a couple of pkts.  I usually succumb to ordering a few bedding mini plugs in early spring, but for the last 3/4 yrs I got them free eventually, because I moaned so robustly about the quality they gave me a refund with extra plants thrown in, so they've made no money out of me Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie