Bullace
Mikey Offline
Size is everything when identifying the plum family, they all start off green and go a near purple black colour. It’s the first to develop a derrière, ie the v groove cup associated with a British plum. The bullace is a little larger than the sloes and smaller than a damson. It’s still round like a sloe whereas a damson is more oval. For size it’s between the top section of your middle finger and thumb, 1.5-2.5cm. Grows on bushy often thorny stems and makes a pleasant slightly sweeter alternative to sloe gin. It can also be made into jams and added to other fruit in a jam. You want pretty much equal quantities of sugar and fruit to make a jam.

I like to freeze mine for a few days minimum to improve the sweetness, this also softens the fruit giving you more juice. You can freeze for longer with little deterioration. The fruit contains a stone so will make a better seived jelly, and a really tasty leather.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve never heard of those before. Do they go by any other names?
The leaf looks very similar to green gade.
I think the chances of me finding one are quite slim  Smile .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
Our friends have them as a hedge. My teen son earned some pocket money harvesting them for them to make a wine
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 2 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey

Mikey Offline
To my knowledge they are not known by any other name. Though are often mistaken for big sloes or damsons, only the size and shape really distinguish these sour fruits. Sloes and bullaces are more round while damsons and plums are more oval. The bullace looks like a super sized sloe, I’ll photograph them side by side in September for better clarity.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

SarrissUK Offline
I think we had something very similar if not the same on the farm where I grew up. Somehow memories of sour plums are somewhere at the back of my head
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey

Mikey Offline
They are not far off now

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

• Can the Man, Veggie