Angelle baby plum tomato
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Had some very nice baby plum toms from the supermarket so decided to save some seed to see what happens.  Too late for this year but will test the germination and try them next season as an experiment.  Anyone heard of Angelle?  I searched on web but not a lot of info, it seems to be a commercial variety.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Mikey Offline
Hi JJB, these will grow from seed I have done so before, they are a bush tomato, and pretty prolific you'll get up 2-300 little toms off a single plant, and they won't grow much more than 3 feet tall. They have pretty hungry roots so want a good soil depth and don't like sporadic watering. They really want watering daily even if it's raining as they are quite quick to split. I stopped growing them as I needed more space for bigger plums.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Thanks for the info Mikey, although it flies in the face of info on interweb which implies they're cordon, but it is all rather sketchy, I've a feeling you're far more reliable. Did your seed come from saved supermaarket toms? All good info though. I'll give them a try. If as you say, they're bush, that blows them out the window for me, I haven't got the room.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I grew them last year as an experiment!
Scraped the fresh pulp out of a bought tomato onto compost and they germinated easily. Had lots of seedlings.
Planted them in the GH and they were very straggly plants - definitely needed supporting. Mine scrambled through the GH staging. 

Try one now JJB - its never too late to experiment. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
    Found a photo from last September.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey

Mikey Offline
They were very messy and needed lots of short canes to hold them upright, they produced about 8 or 9 separate stems, which were all heavily weighted by fruit. I'm not sure you'll get a crop from seeds planted now but, I've never tried planting tomatoes this late in the year, and i don't have a heated greenhouse so toms start to deteriorate in October for me.

Mine were supermarket seeds too
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I was going to plant some of the seeds to check their viabilty and to determine, if I could see whether they were bush or cordon, but not expect any fruit. They will have to take pot luck with a cold greenhouse. Last year I tried to overwinter rosella. They survived but were rubbish. Not going that route again. I'm surprised they are bush and/or straggly as they're grown commercially, Maybe they behave better in Morocco where they come from. I shall give them a try and see what happens.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
On the subject of straggly tomatoes, has anyone grown Sweet Casaday. My one plant ( I inadvertently gave away my spares) Sad is lanky and weedy. Is this normal?
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Never heard of Sweet Casaday, sorry.

Here's a link to a thread on another forum that I used to post on.Wink https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapev...experiment
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think someone saved this in one of our old tomato circles? I'm sure I tried it to....not saved any since so probably wasn't as productive as gardeners delight.

I'm getting boring and just growing those that I love fresh or crop well and I can freeze/preserve for later in the year.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey, Veggie