Venus Flytrap
Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
i notice a lot of house flights, midges and other flies in my poly tunnel, I don’t know if they are doing any good or any harm. I also have a few bees in pollinating plants.
I was just wondering if I put a few Venus flytraps in the tunnel would this get rid of the flies and midges ?
Anybody ever try something like this ?
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Jimny14 Offline
Surely would reduce numbers, not sure by how much and how well they will discriminate. I'm also not sure re hardiness. I think some pitcher plants are hardier and may even over winter in your tunnel?
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Never tried, but the Venus flytrap would take the good guys as well like your bees & hover flies. As would any type of fly trap. The only thing I remember about growing Venus flytrap is never give it tap water. It must be rain water. I forgot one day and watered with tap water and it was dead in a week! I was very annoyed with myself because it was growing really well.
As for the flies in the tunnel. It happens I just leave them to it. The only things I help out are the bees (if there’s not enough flowers open), butterfly & dragonflies.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
My boys were fascinated by those plants - I think ours died of over feeding!
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
They used to sell them in our local DIY store. there was a sign saying "Don't touch or feed"
I've a feeling you'd need a forest of them to eat enough to do any good in a PT.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(09-07-2020, 09:53 AM)Veggie Wrote: They used to sell them in our local DIY store. there was a sign saying "Don't touch or feed"
I've a feeling you'd need a forest of them to eat enough to do any good in a PT.
Especially Can’s PT, isn’t it the size of an aircraft hanger?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie