Freezing courgettes
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Does anyone freeze courgettes?   I've tried and they've tasted horrid.  I don't mind them going mushy as they will go into soups, sauces, etc but how do you make them taste ok.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Only tried it once. Like you say they went mushy. Never done it again.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.

Bren Offline
I've grated and froze them they're really only ok to add to soups or cakes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • PyreneesPlot

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
We sometimes freeze them as part of a mix of cooked veg with something like onions and tomatoes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB

SarrissUK Offline
I grate them and bake a cake. Then. at times, I freeze the cake lol

On a more serious note, I found a bag of frozen, grated courgette in the freezer the other day that had fallen to the bottom. It has to have been there for years - I froze it with the intention of baking a cake with it at some point, but.... it's no surprise that didn't happen. I'm not good with frozen veg.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've stopped freezing Veg of all sorts unless its part of a cooked meal - like soup or stew. I've tried all ways to freeze beans and courgettes but they never taste "right" when defrosted and I end up throwing them away. Now, I eat them fresh, store where possible or give them away and don't even think about freezing them.
Raspberries, gooseberries and currants freeze OK; apples and rhubarb when cooked first- otherwise, I don't bother.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Courgettes grated for cakes only, even cooked in things I find the texture pretty blurgh, apart from fritters, weirdly.
Beans (french) are fine, just tipped & tailed cut to length and bagged. But having said that, I rarely eat vegetables just boiled or steamed, they're always going to be going into a curry, stir fry or something with additional flavours!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France

Broadway Offline
Has anyone tried freezing after spiralizing?
Regards..........Danny Smile

SarrissUK Offline
(22-07-2020, 12:56 PM)Broadway Wrote: Has anyone tried freezing after spiralizing?

Nope - the texture of the courgette when defrosted would mean it's not usable as a pasta replacement anymore, which is the only reason I would spiralise it.

Broadway Offline
(23-07-2020, 09:48 PM)SarrissUK Wrote:
(22-07-2020, 12:56 PM)Broadway Wrote: Has anyone tried freezing after spiralizing?

Nope - the texture of the courgette when defrosted would mean it's not usable as a pasta replacement anymore, which is the only reason I would spiralise it.
Thanks Sarriss

I'm gonna be awkward and still try oneSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile