Blight Already
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've seen conflicting reports on the web as to whether to put blighted plants and fruit on the compost. What's the the panel say?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I always do as I understood that the spores only survived on living plants.
I had really bad blight in the first year in a garden that had been a field for ever previously, and the nearest garden growing toms or spuds was a few hundred metres away. All plants were home grown so the blight must have blown in from some distance!
Composting infected plants doesn't seem to have made it worse; I lay the blame firmly on the weather!!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga

Baldy Offline
I've always understood that blight only survives on liveing plants. I've been composting them for a few years - doesn't seem to have had an impact here.
[-] The following 2 users Like Baldy's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
After the alarmingly blighty start to the season I finally cleared my tomato frame yesterday. This is the latest we've been harvesting tomatoes by over a month (in the eleven summers we've been here).

How much is climate change, luck or me just deciding to not rip out infected plants straight away? Who knows, but around here stands of brown & withered tomato plants still carrying fruit is quite normal!

[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Looking good, PP.

I've also been clearing out a few tomato plants in the GH today - some with botrytis/grey mould on the stems and on splitting fruits.
The leftover plants that were planted outside keeled over with blight months ago - didn't have one usable tomato, Every year I say I won't bother......but weaken when faced with homeless plants.
Remind me next year to be a bit more ruthless. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Mark_Riga

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I couldn't go without fresh tomatoes, Veggie and like most veg, I don't buy it if I can grow it. Once these are done that'll be it until sometime in July (fingers crossed!) Smile

[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Nor me, PP. I try to pick some by May - the little windowsill sort from a January sowing.
Smelling the leaves holds the promise of what is to come. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Fundamental design failure here - windowsills are on the outside and a tad chilly!!

[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Veggie

Bren Offline
I stopped growing outdoor Toms they hardly ever ripened mostly they start to go red then fall of. Now I close my eyes and pop any leftovers I can’t give away in my compost bin. Still feel a bit bad about them though.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Here are the micro tomatoes I'm growing under LED lights, sown early September. They're all setting fruit now. Seven different varieties, I'll be saving seed from them if anyone is interested.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Bren, Veggie