Climbing french beans
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I don't net the beans. I have 3 poles one each end of a 20' row and one in the middle with canes in between to support a net.The net has 4" holes so not for protection. I use the same netting for sweet peas.
When I made a fruit cage, I ordered 100m of 2m width bird netting from easynets don't know if it is cheaper elsewhere but they are still selling it for the price I paid in 2014. It has got a few holes in now but they were made by rats or mice. I had to but 2ft of wire mesh round the bottom to keep the blackbirds out as they would go through the holes made by the rats but were not able to get out. There are still some places birds can get under at the bottom but I've only had robins and meadow pipits since but do need to block them sometime.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
    Back to the beans. I've grown Borlotti on an unglazed GH frame. They grew up the sides, up one side of the roof and over to the other side. They didn't want to climb back down to the ground. The beans dangled from the roof and were easy to pick.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Scarlet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
On the subject of CFB. I grow Hunter on VCs suggestion (along with others). I really like Hunter. Does anyone save the seed of this variety? Is it just a case of letting some pods dry off at the end of season?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've just picked a load of Hunter beans this morning and tried to remember whether I had enough beans to grow it again next year. Must check!
I "think" the idea is that you leave a couple of plants unpicked and let them dry on the plant. Maybe I should follow my own advice. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Broadway Offline
I've left a couple of my broad beans plants on said adviceSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Agreed, I've left a few plants of BB masterpiece longpod to ripen for next year's seed. I assume I'll do the same for Hunter. Not yet though, they're still producing like mad.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club