Climbing french beans
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Could be any climbing bean.

What do you do when they get to the top of your support frame and are there just waggling about? The frame is about 6' high and they are now about a foot above it. How high do you make your supports for them? They should be there till September/October as they are for drying and will get heavier and heavier (hopefully).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I bend them down to grow sideways along the top of the frame.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga

SarrissUK Offline
I let them find their own way, mostly because I don't pay enough attention Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
If I can reach Big Grin ( not very likely! )or myOH is about to ask him.... I like to pinch them off as I think it encourages more side shoots to form.

I've no evidence this works - it may be rubbish Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Bren Offline
I just leave mine to grow this year I've got one tripod under a apple tree so i'm thinking it might carry on growing through it. Will post pics if it does.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I just leave them and curse my stupid tall poles each year. I then send MrPP and his lankiness to pick them.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Roitelet, SarrissUK

JJB Offline
Moonraker
As my CFBs are up 8' canes, I try to pinch out the top 4" when they reach the top of the canes. I feel this stops them from bunching up at the top. At least that's the plan. I don't always remember and end up with snarly tops.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, SarrissUK

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Sad 
Well they were planted out on 5th May and are about 7ft now. Would they grow to 14ft by end August if the support was there, may be 10ft would be possible. I think this year I'll do what Sarriss does but next see if any of the bamboo shoots look sturdy enough for a 10ft frame - but then I don't have any 10ft netting. Confused
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, SarrissUK

SarrissUK Offline
(05-07-2020, 09:28 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Well they were planted out on 5th May and are about 7ft now. Would they grow to 14ft by end August if the support was there, may be 10ft would be possible. I think this year I'll do what Sarriss does but next see if any of the bamboo shoots look sturdy enough for a 10ft frame - but then I don't have any 10ft netting. Confused

Apparently neither do I! Someone's been in my shed and took the black netting that was that long. They left the knackered green netting though, so I've made use of that for now, and ordered more on fleabay. I invested in proper enviromesh, two huge pieces and I think that will be enough for what really really needs to be protected.

Do you have any recommendations for netting that isn't quite as expensive as that, that would be ok around larger bushes like black currants etc? I will need fruit cages at some point up there, because this is the second year in a row that most of the currants have gone to fatten up the birds.

For fruit cages I was thinking I could buy some battens and paint them with wood preserver before screwing them together into frames - how does that sound?

I don't net my beans. Should I?
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man

Jimny14 Offline
[quote pid='4389' dateline='1593985601']
Do you have any recommendations for netting that isn't quite as expensive as that, that would be ok around larger bushes like black currants etc? I will need fruit cages at some point up there, because this is the second year in a row that most of the currants have gone to fatten up the birds.
[/quote]

I dont have to net my black currants as the birds dont seem to bother with them. They do ransacking my red currants though. So I net two of my three red currants and leave one for the birds, they take most off it but leave my blacks alone and I move the nets from the reds on to my gooseberries as they develop later and aren't bothered by birds until after the red currants are harvested. 
You could always try planting some sacrificial red currant bushes or similar to save you some time and expense netting and with cages.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man