The none recommendations
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
This may be a little controversial. My none recommendation is The Vegetable & Herb Expert. Granted it’s not a new book some of it’s content and ideas are very dated. First published in 1998 and updated in 2001 (I have the updated version) My main reason for removing this from the bookshelf is it’s comments about Chillies (I’m very protective of my chillies). Some of which are blatant lies and if I’m not mistaken a touch of racism!!!!!

The other thing is it confused me. After looking through it yesterday trying to find an answer for someone’s tomato problem. Well see what you think. To be far this advice could be 100% correct, it would explain why I’m not very good at growing tomatoes. Get it wet , Don’t get it wet.......... make your mind up!

I’m sure a lot of what in this book is sound information. I was just surprised ( after not reading it for a very long time) at how dated some of it is.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I haven't looked at that section for ages, mainly use it for planting distances. How dated! I'm not a chilli buff but even I figure that's a load of tosh!
It's incredible how both gardening books and cookery books lose their credibility and allure after a time.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I find it is quite a good guide for a some things, my version is the vegetable expert from 1985. A lot is out of date: the chemicals you can use, the varieties available, but the planting distances, expected yield, when to sow/plantout and some of the problems with crops are usually a good starting point. The layout is clear and concise. I usually go through it in late winter to make a list of seeds for the coming year then see what I've got and order.I like Robert Milne's boot 'Organic Veg. Growing' but is is not as easy to use, more to read and think about.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(04-07-2020, 10:49 AM)JJB Wrote: It's incredible how both gardening books and cookery books lose their credibility and allure after a time.
For me it's a question of distance in time.

I agree that gardening books and cookery books from say, the second half of the 20th century can seem very dated, but get back beyond the fifties and even into the 19th century and they can be quite fascinating.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(04-07-2020, 03:37 PM)Moth Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 10:49 AM)JJB Wrote: It's incredible how both gardening books and cookery books lose their credibility and allure after a time.
For me it's a question of distance in time.

I agree that gardening books and cookery books from say, the second half of the 20th century can seem very dated, but get back beyond the fifties and even into the 19th century and they can be quite fascinating.

How right you are!  For example Fanny Craddock bores me silly but wartime cookery under rationing is so interesting as iare cookery practices from the days when there were servants.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Yes, those wonderful recipes that start -  Take ten pounds of flour...... Exclamation
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Mikey Offline
I’ve been learning to make ramen recently, and what is very apparent is the use of the roughest scrag end bit of animals are now preferred for authenticity. Such as chickens feet pigs trotters and back bone. All boiled for 6-8 hours to extract as much flavour as possible. Meat was clearly too expensive when these traditional recipes were created. There is one recipe tonkotsu ramen, where you get a white thickened jelly as liquor from all the proteins, gelatine and marrow that is broken down.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Anyone remember calves foot jelly?
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man, Moth

Mikey Offline
Isn’t that just a jelly baby JJB?
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man

Bren Offline
(10-07-2020, 11:03 AM)JJB Wrote: Anyone remember calves foot jelly?

Until recently we had a local butcher who sold jellies and  other things cooked in the back of the shop that if they weren't labelled you wouldn't know what they were  Confused     Then the usual home cured bacon, hams,  sausages, burgers and game,      we've not been able to find bacon as good as his since he retired.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey