Number of trusses?
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I believe the recommended no. of trusses on indoor tomatoes is six and outdoors four.  How many trusses for a  a double stemmed GH plant?  Still six?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I never restrict number of trusses.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
In practice neither do I but the gh roof does. Just wondered whether there was a school of thought.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Mikey Offline
If you force the tomato to grow horizontally along a cane to start with about a foot is sufficient this brings the first truss just above the ground. You should now get at least one extra truss. If you then tie the tomato into the angle of the roof you can get at least another two trusses.

How come it’s double stemmed did it split early on, some cordon toms are prone to doing that. They get a bit messy looking Though so I generally cut out the weakest branch:
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Its 2 stemmed because I missed an armpit while it was waiting to be transplanted and it developed fruit, so like a numpty I let it grow on. Now it has two growing stems both with trusses. It's an oxheart so don't expect huge number of trusses but just wondered if it would benefit from me stopping one stem and letting the other have all the energy. I'm not hugely bothered either way, I expect in the end it will make it's own mind up.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I would leave both growing if they are looking good, you can support them both and it won't cause any overcrowding.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(03-07-2020, 08:48 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I never restrict number of trusses.

(04-07-2020, 03:56 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I would leave both growing if they are looking good, you can support them both and it won't cause any overcrowding.

Same here. Let the plant decide.. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Sounds like a plan....do nothing and hope for the best, my type of result. Thanks.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I often do double stemmed cordons in the GH, they will usually grow similar amount of trusses as the main one, though I start it as low down as possible.

I don't stop my plants either.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Mikey Offline
This raises an interesting question, how much space do you give between plants?

The reason I pinch out is I find it easier to see what the plant is upto. They are always growing new armpits, sprouting off the end of trusses. My plants are about a foot apart and they will cross over in the greenhouse, so I cut back the branches by half. These often sprout New growth as well.

You could say I do extreme topiary on my tomatoes, in part because I want all effort concentrated on the fruit and not growing extra limbs. It gets harder and harder the taller the plant gets.

I’m doubtful of your ox heart JJB, one limb will be weaker, and you will have to support the fruit more as the limb not growing vertically could snap under the weight of the fruit. I’d be interested to know if you get more fruit or smaller fruit as a result?
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • JJB