The 6-Pack Plan!
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
We're half way through 2020 i and its time for a new Plan/Challenge to myself and anyone else who'd like to join me in growing their own 6-Pack. Wink

The aim is to sow seeds of a Root, shoot, fruit and leaf every week in a 6 module pack (or 6 pots or 6 anythings). 
Who's that in the back? What did you say - "There's only 4 things?" Glad you asked - the other 2 are for a herb and a flower.

Just a few seeds in each module - for example a few beetroot (Root); a pinch of spring onions (Shoot); a couple of peas (Fruit); a few cabbage seeds (Leaf), some parsley (Herb) and Calendula (Flower).

I'm hoping that I won't feel overwhelmed by pricking out/potting on/planting out if I have small quantities to deal with at any time. Some of the modules could be planted out intact in the GH or ground, depending on the time of year. Also regular sowings of small quantities will avoid gluts and ensure continuity of cropping - that's the theory anyway.Wink

I'll start this weekend. Smile
You're welcome to join me!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie, Small chilli

Mikey Offline
I was imagining you with dumbbells V, Ovs they would be borrowed from Geoff or big D, but curling 20-30kg arm bars working on your 6 pack. I have a ten pack in the cupboard but they are Jaffa cakes.

I need to plant some more peas and my pots will need digging up soon and burying in sand so I could do with some follow ons. Sounds like a good plan a mix of bits and bobs for a second sowing.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I spent last evening sorting all the packets of brassicas into sowing month so that I will have something to sow every week. Plenty to sow in spring but no many in July/August.

I'm going to do the same with roots tonight.
There's always another way to sort seeds. Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Mikey Offline
My seed library is constantly moving, I like the sound they make when I shuffle them around they remind me of maracas. No raab seeds V, they only need 60-70 days from memory.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I now have 52 envelopes - one for each week of the year. Most of them have a different brassica seed packet inside ( mixture of cabbage, broccoli/calabrese, cauli & sprouts. The empty months are Nov & Dec so I'll find kales to go in there - or some of the old brassicas that may be past germination.
I'm quite embarrassed about the number of brassicas I have mouldering in the back of the cupboard, unsown and unloved. It'll be their chance to show me how wonderful they are - or its back in the cupboard they go.!!
  • Can the Man, Mikey

Mikey Offline
I’m always confident that compared to you my seed library is merely a shelf V. I love brassicas in all forms but dear family only eat the tips of the heads, I get all the stems.

As space is limited for me I don’t grow a lot of them though, I’m generally looking for 2-3 crops a year from my raised beds and brassicas are generally a bit selfish, PSB and Sprouts are my favourite but they are a full year crop. I have to forego another crop for them.

Where can I still get hold of heritage sprout seeds, I’m not keen on the weak kneed new varieties they have no backbone, and as no one else eats them I don’t have to pander to gentler palettes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don't grow many brassicas because they're always failures - slugs, caterpillars, pigeons etc. If I only grow a couple of each sort every week throughout the year I may avoid the massive disappointments I usually experience. I'm aiming for one edible brassica a week.
As for heritage sprouts - have you tried RealSeeds - they have some.
  • Can the Man, Mikey

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
6 Pack sowing No 1 This is week 26 of 2020 if you're interested.  Rolleyes

Cauli - Prestige (packed 2014)
Spinach - Amazon F1 (packed 2018)
Onion - Bunching Summer Isle (sow by 2019)
Catnip (sow by 2022)
Sweet Basil (sow by 2018)
Kent Blue Pea (saved 2014).

I've sown a few seeds of each, some to test viability. Whatever germinates deserves a life. Smile
  • PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I just had to google Kent blue. Very pretty flowers.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
They came from Sparrow and there were only 6 peas. Hoping to grow them, even if I only manage to save another 6 peas - at least they'd be fresh ones and not 6 years old.