Beetroot and baby beets
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I love the baby beets just boiled or roasted as a veg and OH likes them pickled or just doused in vinegar.   As they get bigger I sometimes add a sauce, probably horseradish or a sweet one like in Harvard Beets.

I'm looking for recommendations from all of you as to your favourite way of preparing beetroot.
I expect we should eventually have a similar thread for courgette recipes when the glut comes

Mods if this should go under the relevant veg type  please move
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
My favourite way to eat beetroot is plain boiled/microwaved; cut into slices and put in a buttered wholemeal bread sandwich!
However, I'm tempted to try beetroot burgers - lots of recipes out there- and I haven't tried any of them yet.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I love mine oven roasted and served with soft creamy goats cheese on a puff pastry disc about the size of a side plate that has been spread with a nice chutney like Fig or apple.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Grated raw with equal parts carrot and a dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar and a bit of salt.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-06-2020, 07:07 PM)Veggie Wrote: My favourite way to eat beetroot is plain boiled/microwaved; cut into slices and put in a  buttered wholemeal bread sandwich!
However, I'm tempted to try beetroot burgers - lots of recipes out there- and I haven't tried any of them yet.

Funny that, Paul introduced me to beetroot sandwiches,  he uses vinegared beets, not my favourite. Although anything in buttered wholemeal bread has my vote.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don't like malt vinegar on beets but raspberry vinegar is lovely.
(Pour white vinegar over raspberry pulp or any other fruit pulp left after you've made a jelly preserve, not a jam).
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-06-2020, 07:49 PM)Veggie Wrote: I don't like malt vinegar on beets but raspberry vinegar is lovely.
(Pour white vinegar over raspberry pulp or any other fruit pulp left after you've made a jelly preserve, not a jam).

I'll deffo try that, thanks V.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I pickled some beetroot this week - here's my top tip that I've never tried before.

Use an Egg slicer (those things with wires for hardboiled eggs) to slice the beetroot into even thickness slices. Worked perfectly.  Cool
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
You'll all be shocked to hear that I have a nice beetroot curry recipe ...
I've also made beetroot and potato gnocchi - a startling pink, but tasted good Smile
Grated and added to a potato rosti, grated and added to lentil or chick pea burger/fritter.patties. Very pretty!

So, that curry -
For two people as part of a multi-dish meal
4 or 5 beets, roots and leaves
Tsp cumin seeds
Half an onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped finely or minced
Thumb-sized lump of fresh ginger, grated, minced or finely chopped
Fresh chillies - I use 1/2 a fatalii, 1 serrano or 2 jalapenos - to taste, finely chopped
1/2 tsp tumeric
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Veg oil to fry - tbs

Prep the beets - remove the tops and coarsly chop, peel the roots if necessary then chop into wedges (I usually use cylindra, so about eight bits).
Dry roast the cumin seeds in a heavy based pan with a lid, leave in the pan and add the oil to a medium heat and fry the garlic and onion until the egdes just pick up a little colour. Add the ginger and then the chilli, frying gently between each addition for a minute or two.
Add the tumeric, stir once and then add the beets, leaves, roots & stems. Stir to mix, add a couple of tbs water, cover tightly and steam over a low heat until the roots are cooked.
Season salt and a goodly amount of black pepper. A very forgiving dish that holds, freezes and reheats very well.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie