Fruit hedge
Jimny14 Offline
I have discussed this a while ago elsewhere but it's still a plan yet to become reality. We have a deep leylandii hedge (approx 7' deep and 9' high) which cuts my veg patch area of the garden from the rest of the lawn. The hedge also screens the garden which runs down the side of the house from the road. I would like to remove the hedge and replace it with fruit trees and bushes to keep the veg patch separate from our lawn. My wife is concerned re the loss of privacy and people being able to see in to our back garden. 

I'm wondering about doing some dwarf fruit trees, either trained or as standards maybe underplanted with fruit bushes. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best of both worlds re screening and producing something edible and also any suggestions of varieties for a garden on top of a hill 1 mile from the west coast in north lancashire.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimny14's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
A few thoughts off the top of my head!
The leylandii will have taken their toll of the soil so you may need to improve it before planting anything permanent like fruit trees.
I know its obvious but fruit trees are deciduous so don't provide much of a screen in winter.

How about a trellis with climbing plants - either edible like loganberries or something ornamental and evergreen? Then plant your fruit bushes/trees behind it
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Jimny14

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’d probably take this opportunity to extend the veggie patch and reduce lawn to be mowed.
Buy planting your edible hedge lawn side of the laylandii. Let it start to establish before removing the laylandii.
Can’t really advise on varieties. Don’t know what’s going in my edible hedge yet. Don’t think I’ll be putting  trees in it.
What about bay as part of the hedge? That’s evergreen. ( thanks for giving me the idea veggie  Cool , that’s going into my hedge as well now  Big Grin )
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie