Sourdough
Bren Offline
Here’s my sourdough loaf from yesterday, half white half wholemeal flour.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 7 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Mikey, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Mikey Offline
I had a Dutch oven for Christmas but, work commitments have stopped me using it yet. I think it’s time to break out the sourdough. Nice loaf Bren, do you spray your loaf with water before putting the lid on?
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Bren, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I've been slowly improving my sourdough but confess to have abandoned the wet slapping kneading thing, and have gone back to a more traditional method. However I have opted for just a single rise, making the sponge at about 4pm, the dough at about midnight and then leaving it in the tin to rise in the garage overnight. It gets baked at about 10 or 11am and although we don't get the classic big air bubbles, it isn't dense and the structure is pretty even. The flavour is there, but less distinct (MrPP wasn't a great fan!).
Now I need to try making something other than just a loaf...
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, Mark_Riga

Bren Offline
No spraying Mikey I put the Dutch oven in while I’m pre heating the stove bake loaf for 30 mins then remove the lid and bake for a further 10 mins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Mikey

Bren Offline
I made this loaf on the 3rd I think it’s my favourite way to slash the top, it seems to open up the loaf well.

[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
OMG....so jealous. OH is gluten free so as the "kids" are away I don't bother much with bread. Thinking I should give it a go.

How do I make a starter if I don't know anyone with some.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Bren

Bren Offline
Scarlet I use the River cottage one because i'd got the book and it worked for me.

Here's a link :-

https://www.rivercottage.net/news/river-...-sourdough

Once its up and running I keep it in the fridge feeding it the day before I want to make a loaf. The discards get turned into pancakes, oatcakes or crackers.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Dove farms is similar to river island: https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/sourdough-starter

This is how I started but used a rounded desert spoons of flour rather than a table spoon, 2 flour to 3 water (didn't round the water). I find a pint beer glass ideal for mixing the starter in and cover it with a plastic container that fits loosely over the top. It doesn't take up too much room in fridge that way and no wet cloth. I think organic flour is probably best to use.

I don't discard anything when mixing the sponge (or ferment) but adjust the quantities of flour and water I add, depending on the amount of starter. Before adding the final mix of flour and water, I take out a teaspoon full as the next starter.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Bren, Scarlet

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
This is the starter recipe I used https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes...ter-recipe
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thank you! I will start tomorrow.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Mikey