Kohl rabi
Broadway Offline
(25-06-2020, 02:52 PM)Bren Wrote: Only grew it once they didn’t get very big so the following year something else went in it’s place.  I  sown then in newspaper pots that seemed to work out ok but I think they’d would have done better with watering.
Hello Bren

Do you use a lot of newspaper pots? I'm alway paranoid about removing /damaging plants from modules and was thinking about going back to the paper pots.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Bren Online
Danny I sow most things in newspaper pots I’ve got 2 different sizes I find them handy and theres pot washing afterward I just plant the whole thing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(25-06-2020, 07:44 PM)Bren Wrote: Danny I sow most things in newspaper pots I’ve got 2 different sizes I find them handy and theres pot washing afterward I just plant the whole thing.
Thanks Bren, are they shop bought or home design?

I have a small one that was shop bought about 12 years ago, will dust it offSmile

The only thing is I can't remember the last time I saw a newspaper!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Bren Online
Danny I started out with a homemade one using 2 different sizes of waste pipe after that I had 2 wooden pot makers bought a prezzies. I'm cheeky I ask neighbours to save me their newspapers.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(26-06-2020, 09:18 AM)Bren Wrote: Danny I started out with a homemade one using 2 different sizes of waste pipe after that I had 2 wooden pot makers bought a prezzies.  I'm cheeky I ask  neighbours to save me their newspapers.
Hello again Bren

Hope I'm not driving you madSmile

Do you also use loo rolls?
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Bren, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-06-2020, 05:15 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(26-06-2020, 09:18 AM)Bren Wrote: Danny I started out with a homemade one using 2 different sizes of waste pipe after that I had 2 wooden pot makers bought a prezzies.  I'm cheeky I ask  neighbours to save me their newspapers.
Hello again Bren

Why would Bren buy loo rolls when the neighbours give her newspapers?  Huh  Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, JJB, Small chilli

Bren Online
(26-06-2020, 05:15 PM)Broadway Wrote:
Hello again Bren

Danny I use loo rolls for things like beans and sweet peas, my tall Telephone peas get sown into guttering.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Broadway

MartinH Offline
I grow them every year to use as salad vegetable. They taste rather like cauliflower stalk, only a bit milder. You can also cut them into sticks and use with your favourite dips, like you might with carrot, celery and so on.

I've tried cooking them but haven't found anything that improves them from raw.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MartinH's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks Martin. Smile
So many people seem to have grown them once and never again. You and TommyToes do, so that's enough for me.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • MartinH

SarrissUK Offline
I like kohl rabi grated and mixed into a coleslaw. It adds a different kind of crispiness. The sweetness in the coleslaw is beautiful, and I add horseradish to it and it matches so well. I like it.
I failed them completely last year. I'll bring a packet of seeds with me to the allotment tomorrow and sow some.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Veggie