Kohl rabi
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Does anyone grow Kohl rabi and have any advice please?
I have several packets of seed but keep overlooking them in favour of something I recognise. 

From the packet information, they can be sown March - July;  are ready to eat in 7-10 weeks and can be eaten raw as crudites, grated in salad or cooked like turnips.
The leaves are also edible and can be used like kale.

Sounds to be too good to be true!  Do they taste awful?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

toomanytommytoes Offline
Most of ours have been eaten in salad. Raw they are sweet and crisp with a light brassica taste. Roatsed they are pretty nice too. The skin is tough so needs peeling. The leaves are pretty much like kale, very tough stems. My second sowing was transplanted into ground at the weekend, plants about 6 inches apart.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Do they transplant OK, TMTT? Some of the packets say you shouldn't, other say you should!!
Wish the seed companies would agree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
Yeah, the first batch transplanted fine, no sign of bolting or whatever other detrimental effect is supposed to occur. I transplant most brassicas without issues. Cimi di rapa/raab is the only thing I've had go to seed in modules but that was likely due to them being left in there too long and getting dry.

Seed packets usually say not to transplant spinach either but mine doesn't seem to mind. Think as long as you minimise root disturbance by letting the roots fill the module cells/pots first, most things can be transplanted (except things with fragile taproots like carrots and parsnips...I have transplanted these in the past to fill in gaps but often ended up with funky looking roots).
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I remember making broth and adding some parsnips and Kohl Rabi. It was like broth with sugar in it and I had to throw it out. Angry

As well as having a mild cabbage flavour it is quite sweet and nutty.(So should be fine for you veggie!) Tongue Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You say the nicest things, Vinny. You could have said it looks weird and has bits sticking out all over the place.

Thanks TMTT. I'll sow the fresher seed today in modules and the old seeds can be scattered randomly in my usual fashion. Wink

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Only tried one once ( wow nearly 10 years ago ). Someone gave us one, told us to treat it like a carrot. As we’d never seen or heard of them before. It was horrible! Texture was the thing that I remember being most unpleasant.
I should probably give them another chance as there’s a lot more information & recipes out there on how to get the best out of it.
Not got round to it yet   Wink .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.

toomanytommytoes Offline
(25-06-2020, 09:45 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Only tried one once ( wow nearly 10 years ago ). Someone gave us one, told us to treat it like a carrot. As we’d never seen or heard of them before. It was horrible! Texture was the thing that I remember being most unpleasant.
I should probably give them another chance as there’s a lot more information & recipes out there on how to get the best out of it.
Not got round to it yet   Wink .

Did you peel it first? Big Grin  It has a very fibrous layer just under the skin which you also need to peel off. Mine were picked quite small too, apparently they can get a bit woody if left to get too big.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Can’t remember if I peeled it to be honest. Size was probably a big tennis ball
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Bren Offline
Only grew it once they didn’t get very big so the following year something else went in it’s place. I sown then in newspaper pots that seemed to work out ok but I think they’d would have done better with watering.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Veggie