Look what I’ve got
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller

Bob came home with 7 of these big bags. Made from the same stuff as my potato bags but twice the size. 
So Potato production will increase next year  Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 10 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Jay, Jimny14, JJB, Mark_Riga, Neffa, Roitelet, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Bren Offline
They look handy Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
What is the secret of growing spuds in bags? All I've ever achieved is bags full of huge ant's nests!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(24-06-2020, 09:46 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: What is the secret of growing spuds in bags? All I've ever achieved is bags full of huge ant's nests!
Not sure there’s a secret. Luckily I’ve never had an ants nest. I’ve changed my method this year (doing it properly  Big Grin  Rolleyes ). I normally put 5 or 6 seed potatoes in a bag ( depending on size ). Plant them a 1/3 of the bag then earth up as needed until bag is full. Using a mix of compost and grass clippings.
I normally get an ok harvest. I mainly use the bags because I don’t seem to loose as many to slugs. I’d loose over 50% planting in the beds (even with nematodes)

This year however I’ve been very good and only put 3 seed potatoes in each bag. Again planting in a 1/3. But earth up with compost only.  So I’m looking forward to seeing if my changes will produce a better yield.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
We've had Casablanca growing in 10 L polypots (1 seed potato) and 20 L plastic pots (2 seed potatoes). The polypots were harder to keep moist during the very dry May. Initially I was disappointed with the yield, but now they've had longer to bulk up we're getting 1.6 kg from a 20 L pot, which isn't too far off my target of 1 kg per 10 litres of growing medium. They were grown in a mixture of old tomato/pepper potting mix, coffee grounds and very rough, very unfinished hot compost.

Ants in the bags sounds like the growing medium got too dry.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Neffa Offline
Contents of 2 of the short MFB’s. 

I got 5 seed Charlottes from the £1 shop.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. 

Quote author unknown.
[-] The following 4 users Like Neffa's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Nice harvest Neffa  Cool .
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man